PropMan

Well Known Member
I've been thinking about an RV3 but feel a 4 would fit better and be easier to mod being that Harmon offers parts.
Is there anyone doing this?
I know the HR2 and HR3 are out there but I don't want a 6cyl.

I've been thinking about an RV3 but feel a 4 would fit better and be easier to mod being that Harmon offers parts.

Frank,

I too fly an RV-6 and I think a single-seat RV-4 would be an awesome airplane. If I ever have a need to get another RV together, I will probably be looking for a solid, pre-loved RV-4 with a run-out engine. The cabin will be converted to single-seat, the canopy converted to a fastback, and the wings trimmed a rib bay or so. Hang a fresh O-360 with CS prop and refreshed solid-state panel, and oh baby, what a plane! :D

Sam,

Have you heard of anyone doing this?
I've ordered a set of HR2 drawings and plan to use several of his mods.
I just want to add a slider. Its what I have on my -6 and I like it.

Frank

Ryan,

I did a search and read that thread, there was no mention of anyone doing this.I'd like to find out and talk to anyone who has a project underway.

Frank

Bruce Bohannon's Fly'n Tiger is a mix of RV-4, Harmon Rocket, and custom parts. It is a single seat where the -4 rear seat used to be. Bruce used an RV-3 sliding canopy and removable custom decking over where the front cockpit used to be. It has full length wings but no flaps (if I remember right).

It is a very interesting mix of aircraft and parts, worth seeing if you get a chance.

Karl

Karl,

I've seen the Flying Tiger up close. Bruce Bohannon spoke at our local EAA meeting a few years ago. Its alot like the HR3. I'm thinking of a -4 with the seat a few inches back, turtle deck, sliding canopy, IO360,HR2 style cowl, F1 style wind screen, and a few other things on the never ending list:D.
Thanks

Frank

Smokey,

I'm blaming you for part of this. On a thread a while back you posted a picture of an HR1, and I was hooked. Now I'm wanting a single seat to complement my -6.

Frank

I think you might be looking for me? I'm the one with the single seat RV-4. As you can imagine, you will get many opinions about resale value, construction, W&B. Why did I do it??? because I can...and it looks dang good.
I hope the links work. I can't remember how to post a picture. :cool: BTW, it is still a project, since I have moved I haven't been able to work on it.
Drop me a line if you wish.

Last edited:
rv4dude, that does look good! Frank, (original poster) I built my -4 per the plans and call it a single seater with a massive baggage compartment in the back. It also has an o-360 with a hartzell prop, so performance is as close to the -3 as I can get. Just a thought.

rv4dude, your project looks great, how long has it been? It took me 12 years to finish my -6.

joeboisselle, did you make any mods to the plans?

Frank

Single Seat mentality...

Frank,

Yep, as an F16 dude it was very tempting in 1989 to order a RV3 tail kit as opposed to a -4. My thinking was "The RV-4 IS single seat", just take out the back seat and you have lots of room for baggage, coolers, camping gear, etc, basically a bigger -3! You don't detract from it's clean lines and you gain utility. Over the years it paid off as on different occasions I carried a 5 HP air compressor, my mountain bike, Honda trail 70, large cooler, lawnmower, RC F-16, footlocker full of all my gear for a year in Iraq...etc.

The Rocket of course is the RV4, personified:)

Smokey
HR2
[img=http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/8908/img5534z.th.jpg]
Questions?

Last edited:
I'm planning of keeping both seats, but go along with the small engine rocket idea otherwise.

O-540

Well I have too much time to read at night. From the comments I've read about the O-540 It sure looks like the route for me. Just hope it dosent take me another 12 years to complete.

Frank

A small concern to me.....

...is the proximity of the canopy to the tail....thinking it might block some airflow over the fin/rudder...easily remedied by using an -8 tail.

My thoughts after seeing the side-by-side Air Tractor 502 with the vertical cabin doors. Fin/rudder aerodynamics was also a concern of theirs.

Regards,

ROCKET I

Call John H. He built 2 HR l's. One for Jim Eweing (deceased) and one for himself. Both still exist and were flowen with angle valve IO-360's. These were RV3 kits modified from the rear seat bulkhead forward, no cowl cheeks and a turtle deck. Wing tanks and fold over canopy. Really nice looking.
Rod

Smokey,

As I stated earlier, You started this with those PICTURES:D. Although I do take responsibility for it growing into what may be a Rocket. Just need to finish painting the -6, building a new shop, and get the new business off the ground.

rv4dude, your project looks great, how long has it been? It took me 12 years to finish my -6.

joeboisselle, did you make any mods to the plans?

Frank

No mods... I just don't fly with anything resembling a rear seat. But I do have the cushions and stick if I find a passenger worthy of taking up my precious cargo space. :p