RobinHou

Well Known Member
I am wondering if owners of single place aircraft like RV-3 should carry liability insurance?

It seems to me single place owners' liability exposure is very limited. I mean, how bad can you hurt others when you don't carry them? Sure you can hit someone on the ground, but what is the chance of that happening?

Tell me why I am wrong. All comments are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Imagine your airplane crashing into a Girl Scout meeting, or having a mid-air with a multi-place airplane.
Not a pretty picture.

Cheers, David

Or taxi into another airplane or hanger or power line or anything you might not want to or cannot afford to pay for out of your own pocket??????

I agree - I hate the idea of paying insurance premiums....but it's getting so that most airports will require you to have it if you are going to keep your plane there. Some check, some don't.

A little thread drift here

I was surprised by Jenny at Nationair regarding time in type required. Hard to get dual in one seat airplane. So, I was flying phase 1 to put hours on paper even though I had 800 hr tail wheel and several hundred singleseat. To my surprise, Jenny says good to do with a $300 annual premium. GO Figure

There was a case not long back where a crop duster hit, but did not sever, a power line in NSW. He did the right thin and reported it to the power company. The idiot repairman, despite knowing the situation, made contact with the line that was dislodged from the poles and hanging a couple of feet off the ground and sued both the operator and owner of the aircraft.

Pretty unlikely? Certainly, but it happened. Times like that you'll be glad you have insurance...

We are brokers specifically for aviation insurance and would like to jump into this conversation. We see many liability claims and they can get messy; considering that not all liability claims occur from crashing into others? property. For example if you taxi into another aircraft, vehicle, taxiway light, along with the other examples in previous posts.

In the instance of the RV-3, I would like to mention that dual instruction is not required in this model specifically as it is a 1 seat aircraft. Most insurance companies require the pilot to get dual instruction in another tailwheel model Vans. This is something you should discuss with your broker.

Also, in regards to the RV-3, even though it is a 1 seat aircraft, you may want to evaluate whether or not you need passenger liability. I know this may sound strange but the reason is, if anyone beside you flies the aircraft they are technically considered a passenger and therefore could collect the passenger limit. However, if you are the only named pilot on the policy it is fine to carry liability that excludes passengers and save yourself a few bucks.

In most cases, a liability only policy for a Vans aircraft is only about $300 a year.

Feel free to call or email us if you have any questions. We are always happy to help!

Gallagher Aviation (formerly NationAir)

Jennifer Cummins ([email protected])
Shanna Linton ([email protected])
Leah Ringeisen ([email protected])
877-475-5860

Imagine an engine failure, you dead stick into a farm field. All is good. Someone calls 911 and Fire, Sheriff, EMT's, the news media, you mom, and the wrecker drive across the field. The farmer is going to want to be paid for his damaged crop.

Get the insurance!

Not to mention aircraft/wreckage removal. I learned a few years back when one of my planes got flipped over while tied down on the Tarmac due to a severe storm. I was parked next to an immaculate T-6 and as unfortunate as it was, I was fortunate the storm didn't blow it into the T-6.

Just checked the policy for my RV-6A. The liability premium was $180 for the year through Falcon Insurance (obtained through a link from the EAA website). Should be less for a single place airplane since there's no passenger liability in the mix.

Cheers, David