Thanks for the link. I had heard that it looked a lot like the Cirrus jet and it's true. Anyone heard rumors around this yet?

burgundyja said:
it looks like it is pilot co-pilot and 1 passennger
Or 2...
fullview.php

usefull

doesnt look like its very usefull. and a face only a mother could love no doubt. makes the rv12 look like a show stopper. :D

cytoxin said:
doesnt look like its very usefull. and a face only a mother could love no doubt. makes the rv12 look like a show stopper. :D
Huh, that's a real nice looking plane. It certainly looks better than the Cirrus Jet.
Eclipse ECJ
ecj01.jpg

Cirrus Jet
cirrus_jet.jpg

Last edited:
Whiskey Charlie said:
Cirrus will hold way more people! (7 verses 4)
Is that a good thing for an owner flown jet? Only thing that means is that the insurance will be higher on the Cirrus. How many can each carry with full fuel?

I Kinda Like it....

Of course, I'll never have one in my hangar - I'm just a middle-class guy, but as taste is subjective, there is something about the lines that I like - kind of what a true, small, personal jet should look like.

I have thought thet the VLJ's that have actually been produced turned out larger than the original concept....this is more like what I thought they were aiming for when they started a decade ago.

But of course, price will tell if four seats are way cheaper than seven, or if the difference is so little that you might as well go bigger!

So where is Van's jet prototype, that's when we can all REALLy start drooling! :D

Ironflight said:
kind of what a true, small, personal jet should look like.

Sorry to disagree with you Paul, but IMHO the BD 10 was just about the most gorgeous personal jet ever built.

Kinda looks like a cross between a F15 and a Sukoi 27, in miniature.

But as I said my opinion only.

Last edited:
Oh, I don't disagree....I think there are SEVERAL pleasing forms that a personal jet could take! I just don't think they all have to like like Citations or Lear clones....

Yeah, the BD-10 looked VERY cool!

This is looking more realistic...

Ironflight said:
Of course, I'll never have one in my hangar - I'm just a middle-class guy, but as taste is subjective, there is something about the lines that I like - kind of what a true, small, personal jet should look like.

I have thought thet the VLJ's that have actually been produced turned out larger than the original concept....this is more like what I thought they were aiming for when they started a decade ago.

But of course, price will tell if four seats are way cheaper than seven, or if the difference is so little that you might as well go bigger!

So where is Van's jet prototype, that's when we can all REALLy start drooling! :D

Paul,

I agree with you 100%. Way back when, everyone was preaching about owner-flown, light personal jets, I got excited. Then they came out with all these twin engine creatures, which to me, was a mini remix of the Citation 500 or Hawker 400 or Beech Premier IA. Thanks, but no thanks. I was thinking along the lines of a really fast (relatively speaking) 4 or 5 seater.

I have 2 well-heeled friends who ask all the time about NetJets and other fracts because they want something they can fly just them and their wife and kids to various locales. At the onset of VLJs they wanted to see about getting into one and having me train up to be thier pilot. I kept telling them, ..uh no. It would have been basically the same as a fract operation ($1.5+million, 2 pilots, additonal ratings, continous training, etc.)

Now with the onset of these smaller "Personal Jets", I think the price point will come in truly less than $1M (~$850k+), which makes it easier to talk partnership and me owning (albeit small) a piece of the action. Which lets me fly it not as a paid professional, but as a co-owner. :cool:

Im excited to see so many new players in this particular space. I think you will see a lot more of these bought by groups or partnerships and flown by one of the partners. I really like the one from Epic Air (the kit built Victory). You can do all the maintenance on it and fly it too! Although, it would probably be smart to farm out the turbine work.

I always thought, if someone came out with an all metal, kit built turbine, it would be Vans! :D

Mike S said:
Sorry to disagree with you Paul, but IMHO the BD 10 was just about the most gorgeous personal jet ever built.

Kinda looks like a cross between a F15 and a Sukoi 27, in miniature.

But as I said my opinion only.
Wasn't the BD-10 a tandem seat wanna-be fighter jet? Great if you want to don a flight suit, helmet and bore holes in the sky, but not so good if you want to take three colleagues in business suits on a business trip, or the family on vacation in pressurized comfort. I see the Eclipse CJ as a true side-by side 4 seat transport machine that can serve this purpose. The smaller size will make it even more efficient.

Bill, I guess it is all about how you interpret the term "Personal Jet".

Boring holes in the sky is exactly what I would want to do in a PJ. Forget the guys in the business suits.

Mike S said:
Bill, I guess it is all about how you interpret the term "Personal Jet".

Boring holes in the sky is exactly what I would want to do in a PJ. Forget the guys in the business suits.
Ah, good point!

maybe

w1curtis said:
Huh, that's a real nice looking plane. It certainly looks better than the Cirrus Jet.
Eclipse ECJ
ecj01.jpg

Cirrus Jet
cirrus_jet.jpg
I have to admit they look better in those views. But they do have a striking resemblance to flipper. the cirrus isnt the one i looked at. it looks better to me because it appears to be longer and that reduces the humpback appearance. but hey you know what they say about oppinions. they both look nicer than my jet ;)

Last edited: