grubbat

Well Known Member
I'm wanting to replace my right mag for an EI. I want to use standard aircraft plugs and want something thats is relatively easy and fast to install. I don't want to modify my existing right mag cause I want to keep it as a backup for when the left mag needs replacing. Simplicity and not a bunch of wiring.
What would you install? Opinions welcome.
Thanks, CJ

Me too!

I?m interested in doing the exact same thing; however for me I don?t want a P-Mag, too many moving parts and too many recent failures. Something that runs off of ships power and has no wear type parts is what I want.

I might sound like a broken record but I have to recommend Light Speed Ignition again.

- With the magnetic pick-up on the flywheel, there are no moving parts.
- With the electronics box mounted under the instrument panel, they stay dry and cool (relative to being mounted in engine compartment).
- The company has been around since 1986. Translation-proven.
- I had an alternator fail once on a ccx and ended up flying over 3hrs on just the battery before switching to just my left mag. Van's has stated that while using LSE, you'll usually run out of gas before you run out of battery in the event of alternator failure.
- In 8 years and nearly 1,000hrs, I've never had to time the LSE or otherwise perform any maintenance. I change my automotive plugs once a year.

As stated on another EI thread, there have been LSE failures, but they are rare.

I?m interested in doing the exact same thing; however for me I don?t want a P-Mag, too many moving parts and too many recent failures. Something that runs off of ships power and has no wear type parts is what I want.

I don't get it. The P-mag has exactly one moving part.

I would rather put the P-mag in than a LSE because the P-mag has fewer connectors and no brain box that should be mounted on the cold side of the firewall.

500 hours on two of them and no issues. Do a search on LSE issues and you will find they have problems. While you are at it, do a search on mags and you might find they have more issues per hour than either the P-mag or LSE.

Single EI

Its sure nice to have variable timing, it makes more power and lets you lean better, I'm really good with less moving parts and simple. the 1 mag 1 EI seems a good way to go. The LSE with a crank trigger fits the bill and as stated has been around a long time (Stable) the new crank trigger is really nice and fits the no moving parts bill. If you have FI anothe big bonus hot starts are no problem.
anyway thats my 2 cents
Peter
RV6 LSE Plasma III

Another Option

I have researched the option of Electronic ignition and from what I can tell the only real "performance" benefit is if you have both running electronic.

Otherwise the only true benefit you have is alternate "type" redundancy.

I looked at the G3 Electronic Ignition from http://www.g3ignition.com/

It offered the benefit of using the Mags as the base with electronic ignition timing working via the Mags. The failover reverting back to the basic Mag function.

Each Mag is still independant... I gues like a super Mag with electronics, but also on elctronics failure basic M<ag functionality... Worth a look.

BTW: I don't have them yet, still researching, however, logical approach from my reasoning.

Rose

Gotta throw the jeff rose system in the hat. Called something else now. Fits your bill.