RudiGreyling

Well Known Member
Hi Guys,

I am looking for more opinions on the Single Arm Tailwheel steering assemblies available. People that have flown both traditional "Chain and Springs" AND then "Single Control Arm Springs".

I know the plans say the traditional chains need some 1/2" slack.

2 Questions:
1) "Those of you with the single control arm/spring combination, please give us feed-back on how much free play your rudder has before steering is initiated." Can no free-play lead to other problems?

2) Experienced Opinions Please, including Pro's and Con's, if you have flown both what you prefer and why?

Thanks
Rudi

Last edited:
Hey Rudi - I talked about this in a post awhile back, when I installed my "Silver Bullet", but the short version is that I like really tight chains (try for no slack, and end up with just a little), and when I swapped to the Silver bullet, I actually found it the same or just a tad sloppier than the chains. I've never measured the break-out, but the chains were tight!

I love the airplane that way - precise, no deadbands in the tailwheel steering. When I want control, I want it NOW!

End of summary...;)

Paul

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I am looking for more opinions on the Single Arm Tailwheel steering assemblies available. People that have flown both traditional "Chain and Springs" AND then "Single Control Arm Springs".

I know the plans say the traditional chains need some 1/2" slack.

2 Questions:
1) "Those of you with the single control arm/spring combination, please give us feed-back on how much free play your rudder has before steering is initiated." Can no free-play lead to other problems?

2) Experienced Opinions Please, including Pro's and Con's, if you have flown both what you prefer and why?

Thanks
Rudi

Rudi,

I've flown the chains and the Rocket (Jantzi) steering link on my RV-6 over the past nine years. Started out with the chains and had them adjusted with very little slack. They worked fine with no control problems.

Changed to the Rocket link so I could pick up some serious speed. ;) There is practically no difference in control feel but the plane looks much faster.

Bottom line, both systems work fine. Most important factor is the pilot; someone who knows how to handle a taildragger will have no issues with any of the current tailwheel links.

I have an rv-6 started with vans chains changed to silver bullet. bullet looks better. If I did it again it would be tail lynx.

Chains

It's just one of those deals where some prefer one and some the other. I don't think it is a big deal but I do prefer the chains for their mechanical simplicity and the steering feel. Yes, there is some slack you can feel at low speeds (mine are set up to Van's recommendation) but I think the feel changes less from tailwheel on the ground to tailwheel off.

My chains were set with a little slack and when I went with the Rocket link the steering became more responsive. I like responsive, like Paul, I want to feel what is going on back there.

Single arm steering

I too have the rocket link, and would not go back to chains.
But...There is one point which I have not seen mentioned.
While landing in a stiff x-wind, and slowing to the point where the tail is now on the ground,
we got hit with a gust strong enough that my foot commanded full rudder!
Imagine my surprise when the tail wheel unlocked! (NO Brakes were applied).
With chains a little loose, as Vans recommends, it is possible to maintain TW steering
and still apply full rudder. This may be a good thing for the extreme condition.
As for me, my limit is now 20kts, including the gust. (only 110hrs in my RV6)

Rocket Link

I have flown my -3 with both chains, and rocket link. I prefer the link, for all the same reasons, control. When I land on a 50' wide runway, I want control NOW. Also it seems to me that I need very little movement with the link as opposed to the chains. (Happy feet) :D As far as x-wind goes, 15kts. is my limit, :eek:it may be wimpy, but it's mine. Try both and pick the one you like the best.

Mike Bauer
RV-3 N87LB flying
RV-4 N742MC building

Old Question?

I have an RV-8 with the single arm tailwheel. I've been told by some that there have been incidents of the. Arm going over center in some situations and locking the tailwheel and rudder. I don't see anything on that issue ion the site. What can you tell me? Thx in advance.

Concerning the "slack before steering" thing: I ran the chains very tight on my Hiperbipe, and "just" tight on the RV. For the last 40 hours however, I've been flying the Rocket with a locking tailwheel which has no steering at all. I've landed plenty of times locked and unlocked. Frankly, the rudder seems to deliver all the authority you need. Based on this new experience, I'd say you will get used to whatever setup you have and be just fine. Chains tight, loose, or take them off... Bottom line, don't sweat it too much.

I agree with Mike, I flew my plane about 40 hours with the locking pin removed and couldn't tell the difference on landing and takeoffs. However, it was nice to have steering while taxiing around the airport.

I have an RV-8 with the single arm tailwheel. I've been told by some that there have been incidents of the. Arm going over center in some situations and locking the tailwheel and rudder. I don't see anything on that issue ion the site. What can you tell me? Thx in advance.

I've never encountered such a failure mode. My first 70 hours with a rocket link single arm tailwheel steering mechanism were in an RV-8 back when I was still fairly new at flying tailwheel RVs. The failure I did encounter was on my first trip to Oshkosh in this plane when the locking pin failed to engage and leaving me with a free swiveling tailwheel which took all of one landing and 5 seconds time to learn how to deal with it. I didn't bother to try to fix the stuck pin until after I got back home... the rudder was more than sufficient to steer the plane on the ground until slowed enough to switch to differential braking.

The design of the locking pin and the groove in the steering arm is such thatwhen the wheel is turned past a certain number of degrees off center that it pushes fhe pin in and disengages the arm from the rudder.

My RV6 also has the rocket link and it's performed flawlessly the 250 hours I've owned and flown this plane. I prefer the single link over chains since in my experience I've seen much less slop than with chains.

I recall this issue being raised many years ago but I can't remember much in the way of details. Seems the problem was due to geometry of the arm that wasn't set up quite right, the link being adjusted too short. Biggest problem was the over-center link could damage the rudder bottom fairing.

But if the arm goes that far off center the tailwheel won't be jammed, it will be free and unlocked. As others had stated, this is not a serious problem, the plane is still very controllable.