jjconstant

Well Known Member
EFIS Simulators

I was reading the great thread Paul started about what people wanted for EFIS features and I was struck by the real need for simulators.

Then I read the thread discussing Open Systems and touching on the possibilities of open standards. Stein mentioned the laudable mutual respect he sees amongst many of the systems designers.

I understand the time, energy and money sensitive natures of small businesses and why simulators may be viewed as "nice to have but no time/money/energy etc."

Asking the question from the perspective of someone who knows NOTHING about programming, hardware or the practicalities of the questions:

Is there a way of leveraging cooperation between the EFIS manufacturers to get a simulator that represents each of their systems individually while not requiring each to duplicate all the work themselves? It strikes me as an absolutely mutually beneficial endeavor amongst everyone from manufacturer to customer to sales and installation companies if it can be done.

This would represent the best of experimental aviation in terms of community developement of features and processes that lead to safety impvovements.

...Or this could be complete pie-in-the-sky:) I don't know what I don't know:eek:

Jeremy Constant

Last edited:
Microsoft flight simulator makes a great common platform for building avionics simulations. It allows developers to leverage a huge amount of ground work. In fact, MS recently announced ESP, essentially the flight sim engine licensed for custom structured applications. ESP is intended for large organizations…not personal use. But any user can mod the commercial sim making it a great design tool or training aid.

The barrier is even with the groundwork done it is still a considerable amount of work and as a commercial venture the market is small. However it does work in some cases (http://www.reality-xp.com/). I agree with you that somehow between manufacturers, developers, and amateurs it can be done. :)

Danny

http://www.flight1tech.com/index.html is another example...I just shudder at their price tag.

Last edited: