BruceMe

Well Known Member
I will soon have two comms, I was wondering if anyone knew of a dirt simple Left/Right Mic with a both mix?

Toggle Push-Button
[<- TALK ->] [ HEAR BOTH ]

That simple.

Thanks!

The simplest audio panel is no audio panel.
Just using a DPDT switch to switch PTT and mic audio between 2 radios.
I've been using this method for over 20 years.

PTT switch

You can always just have a single switch that controls only the mike function for each radio. When you don't want to hear them both, just turn the volume all the way down on one of them. Flown many older planes with that setup.

Yes. You will get an impedance mismatch but it is minor with a very slight loss of volume.

Well, maybe. Some radios tolerate this better than others. But this will work: put a resistor (220 - 470 ohms) in series with each radio output before you tie them together. You will need to turn up the volumes but neither radio will short out the other.

Can you buy a two channel audio mixer box to support the both?

You can. This is a more deluxe solution. But if you actually want to mix 3 or 4 inputs, or you need more volume, it may be the way to go. Buy one, or build your own for $5 plus the cost of connectors.

I did what Mel said (at his suggestion when I asked the same question you did), and I love it.

Ok... wiring?

both radios share mic-ground and mic-input, hard wired. The switch is really just selecting which radio gets PTT?

So one could really do this on a SPDT ?

Thanks!

That will work but not as well.

Ok... wiring?
both radios share mic-ground and mic-input, hard wired. The switch is really just selecting which radio gets PTT?
So one could really do this on a SPDT ?
Thanks!

It's really better to switch the mic input also. Tying them together will give you an impedance mismatch. This is more critical on a mic input.

Last edited:
I'm being silly, I have a stand-alone intercom... Two options.

1 - Remove the second com and use the GX60 built-in intercom (no switching)

2 - Keep the the stand-alone intercom and switch on the intercom mic output using the DPDT first suggested

Geez why so complicated?!

On the plus side... reading all these manuals, I just learned I can serial connect the GX60 to my old Dynon D10A and add course guidance and HSI. It can also provide the required altitude encoder input. Nothing to do with this thread.

Last edited: