pilot28906

Well Known Member
Now that the tail is complete I need to build the wing jigs and get started on the wings (slow build). My question is which wing jig type is the easies that works? I would like to stay with wood and prefere to not attach to the ceiling and floor however the one in the plans seems fairly simple. Any advice?

Here are some pictures of my jigs..

Click on the link below for some pictures of my wing jigs. I also wanted to use wood, and did not want them attached to the garage floor/ceiling.

http://www.fabs-designs.com/rv7a/labels/Wing Jig.html

I was really glad I went this way when I moved to a new house last year -- I just put the jigs on the truck and was up an running the next day.

It is all 2x4's, and the spar supports are made out of Home Depot Aluminum angle and 3/8's (I think) threaded rod.

Of course, these will move if you push on them hard enough, but I found this to not be a problem. I am in the middle of riveting the wing skins, and haven't had any alignment problems.

If you want more pictures, let me know...

Luis

Mine was on wheels

I made a wing jig similar to Luis' but picture it on wheels. Then get rid of the top horizontal beam (which, by the way, is a good idea I should have done). Now on the vertical posts (I used 4X4's) add a couple of beefy L-brackets from the hardware store and pad them. Then clamp the wing to it. You'll also have to attach a small home made L-bracket to the outboard rib as well. You'll see a milk crate and a jack at the bottom center of the wing. That's what I used to eliminate sag.

I wanted to keep a car in half of my two car garage so I wanted something movable. I haven't flown yet but I've had the wings bolted on the fuselage and they look virtually twist free.

img1890mq2.jpg

John,
Doesn't meet your criteria of not attaching to the floor, but building both wings at the same time offered some real advantages.
Airpane

I measured the spars and set the spacing to be flush on the out'b and overhang about 2" on the inb'd end. I don't remember the actual dimension

ah..anyone have spars they can measure and give me dimensions?..I am also building my wing jigs while waiting 8 weeks for wing delivery.

Measurment

I just completed the inventory on the wing kit and I agree with the measurement. Thanks again for the helpful info.