az_gila

Well Known Member
Since D-Sub connectors can have their pin numbers hard (almost impossible) to read, and reversed direction for male and female connectors -

A simple tip, use your magnifying glass, determine the pin/socket locations and use a fine Sharpie to mark the numbers on the side you insert the pin/sockets from.

d-subconn_zpsc928a213.jpg

This might help to cut down miswires.

Last edited:
another tip, I see a lot of people make two DB connections and then adel clamp them to a sub panel, just buy one of these and make your connections THROUGH the sub-panel, much tidier

StWSd3y.png

Has anyone found a screw driver that works for blind removal of the connector?

Tim, I've thought the same thing many times. Not sure of the screw size; I think 4-40. In that case something like this may work;
http://www.mcmaster.com/#socket-head-cap-screws/=nc6r6r
A hex socket would be much easier than a slotted screw, in a 'blind' situation.
I do have knurled screws, but have found that they can be too long or otherwise impossible to turn with the fingers in cramped areas. I have used a small piece of vinyl tubing slipped over the end of a slotted screwdriver to use as a guide. It works 'sort of' okay.

Tool

Yes! Just made one, and so far it has worked well. Got a small blade tip screwdriver, put an appropraite length brass tubing 0.075" outside diameter (I.D. just larger than the blade) and secured with shrink wrap to the shank of the screwdriver with the tube protruding just 2 or 3 mm beyond the tip. Really helpful in blind spots moving the Dynon out and in recently. Could be improved with a compression spring above the tube end. Good luck with your own!