hohocc

Well Known Member
Hi, I was looking at the construction videos on the EAA website the other day and saw the "simple dimple dies" sold by the sonex folks in use. Has anybody used these? Are they suitable for the AN426 rivets used in RVs? I note there is only one size according to their website, will this do both 3/32 and 1/8 rivet holes? Thanks.

Hi, I was looking at the construction videos on the EAA website the other day and saw the "simple dimple dies" sold by the sonex folks in use. Has anybody used these? Are they suitable for the AN426 rivets used in RVs? I note there is only one size according to their website, will this do both 3/32 and 1/8 rivet holes? Thanks.

Nope, that won't do. They are at 120 deg, not 100deg like AN426 rivets. You'll also need a separate dimple for 3/32 and 1/8 rivets. The head does not have the same size.

If this dimple die is for 1/8 pop rivets, it can be used where CS4-4 blind rivets are used(120deg). That's about it.

You can buy them for both -3 & -4 rivets. They are useful in a few areas, but in really tight areas like the trailing edge of a control surface, you can't get the nail/die combination into the available space.

I found them more useful when I 'missed a dimple' & discovered it after assembly had started.

More useful for tight spots near an edge are the vise-grips with the dies welded to the jaws.

What I've often wished for is the same type of die, but with the female half threaded to accept a threaded 'nail' so you can get them in those tight spaces. Well, I went to Avery's web site so I could show you a link, & guess what....

http://www.averytools.com/c-72-dimpling-tools.aspx

edit: oops; just noticed that the screw types are for screw heads, not rivets.

Also, if you're thinking of using the pop type to dimple the whole plane, you'll be dimpling for a loooonnnnggg time.

Charlie

Last edited:
You can buy them for both -3 & -4 rivets.

You are correct. My avery toolkit came with a 3/32 pop rivet dimpler tool. But it's 100deg, not 120 like the Sonex one.

What I've often wished for is the same type of die, but with the female half threaded to accept a threaded 'nail' so you can get them in those tight spaces. Well, I went to Avery's web site so I could show you a link, & guess what....

http://www.averytools.com/c-72-dimpling-tools.aspx

The screw type dimple dies are only available for #6, #8 and #10 screw dimple. Not for 3/32 or 1/8 holes.