dhmoose

Well Known Member
As is typical for me, I get nervous about choosing the appropriate torque value for critical parts. In this case, I'm torquing the 4 bolts that secure the filtered air box top plate to the Silverhawk injector body. These are of course "critical" since a loosening of one of these would result in the bolt falling into the FAB and being sucked into the engine.

So, what's the correct torque value? The Silverhawk manual makes no mention of it. The Lycoming overhaul manual seems to say they are 1/4-20 bolts but again, I didn't find a specific torque. In the Lycoming Service Table of Limits, I see a generic value of 96 in lbs for a 1/4" bolt. Is that the torque to use?

Thanks in advance for the help!
PS- Once I get the right torque value, I'll remember to safety tie these in pairs!
David

Please safety wire these bolts!

Beside the proper torque value, these bolts should have their heads drilled and all should be safety wired...... This prevents them from being ingested by the engine....

As is typical for me, I get nervous about choosing the appropriate torque value for critical parts. In this case, I'm torquing the 4 bolts that secure the filtered air box top plate to the Silverhawk injector body. These are of course "critical" since a loosening of one of these would result in the bolt falling into the FAB and being sucked into the engine.

So, what's the correct torque value? The Silverhawk manual makes no mention of it. The Lycoming overhaul manual seems to say they are 1/4-20 bolts but again, I didn't find a specific torque. In the Lycoming Service Table of Limits, I see a generic value of 96 in lbs for a 1/4" bolt. Is that the torque to use?

Thanks in advance for the help!
PS- Once I get the right torque value, I'll remember to safety tie these in pairs!
David