Allen231ah

Well Known Member
My Silver bullet rod end went TU yesterday while landing at AJR . The ball came out of the socket . Was able to snap it back in and safety wire to secure, got me back home .The rod ends used on the Silver Bullet link seem to be a little on the weak side, if you have them you may want to keep check on them and maybe safety wire them in-case they come apart. I ordered a rocket link from Vince Frazier last night and will change the parts out next weekend .

We have two flying and one spare Silver Bullets, and have safety wire on all the ends as a matter of course, just for the case you experienced - a failure of the rod end. I just replaced a couple of the rod ends last week after dinging mine when my tail wheel cross-bolts sheared - they are readily available from ACS for about $5 each. CM3-S is the part number, if my short-term memory is working....Good to have a spare on hand.

Paul

Problem

There seems to have been a rash of these lately. We have been contacted at www.jdair.com several times lately for people who have had problems with their Silver Bullet links. In one case the SB fell apart and the springs were lost. We were able to direct him to replacement springs. Also numerous ball link failures.

We also carry the ball link parts and can ship the same day. Well over 100 JD air tail links out there with great success. Ready to ship today.

Sorry for the plug.

Good ideas...

We have two flying and one spare Silver Bullets, and have safety wire on all the ends as a matter of course, just for the case you experienced - a failure of the rod end. I just replaced a couple of the rod ends last week after dinging mine when my tail wheel cross-bolts sheared - they are readily available from ACS for about $5 each. CM3-S is the part number, if my short-term memory is working....Good to have a spare on hand.

Paul

I like the safety wire idea, but can't envision how to execute it. Can you describe the configuration?

Also, CM-3S for the P/N (right hand threads)

Thanks,

Dean Pichon
RV-4

I like the safety wire idea, but can't envision how to execute it. Can you describe the configuration?

Also, CM-3S for the P/N (right hand threads)

Thanks,

Dean Pichon
RV-4

I looked quick for a picture, but can't seem to find one. Basically, you build a loose "bridge between the two threaded ends of the bearing with safety wire - wrap it around the threaded portion of one leg, twist it about 6 times, then wrapped it around the other threaded leg and twist it to tie it off. That way, if the bearing itself fails, the safety wire will keep the end of the link tied to the aircraft, and it won't go flailing about.

Paul

Darwin, Thanks for your help.

I was the guy that emailed you about the lost spring. I ordered them from LEE springs like you said and I got them today. They were the exact ones I that were on there before. You were right I had the Silver Bullet Unit. I didn't remember. I guess he's out of business now? The only thing that happened to mine was the unit unscrewed in half and the spring fell out. It's probably on the runway somewhere. To tell you the truth I didn't even notice it was apart till I got real slow and taxied around to my hanger. I just used a little brakes and I was fine. Thanks again.

Safety Wiring the Rod Ends

OK, here's a picture I snapped in the hangar tonight - worth a thousand words, as they say....(and yes, I know the paint is chipped on the rudder horn - the Horror!!;))

IMG_4076.JPG

Purpose of safety wire?

Hey Paul,

I'm not sure I understand how this safety wire will help in the case of a rod end failure. If the rod end failed, it doesn't look like the safety wire would keep the rod end from dropping off the bearing, leaving only the safety wire connecting the tailwheel link to the bolt. Any significant force then looks like it would simply snap the safety wire. Why not assemble this the same way other rod ends on the aircraft are assembled with a normal rod end, through bolt, and large area washer:

Screen%20shot%202010-06-21%20at%207.50.44%20PM.png

That's the question I had, too. Ever since I read something on his site that Sam Buchanan wrote on the subject, I've surrounded rod end bearings with large washers.

Hi Jason,

Good question!

This is not the "standard" rod end like we use all over the Van's kit - it is the "stud" version. You don't put a bolt through it - it isn't hollow. Looking at my picture, the "bottom" part (that you can't see) is just a flat end of the spherical part of the bearing - so if it pulled out in that direction, it would come off. So you can't put a large washer on there. The safety wire is, at best, a tenuous thread to keep the link from dropping, dragging, or bouncing around on the ground if the rod end fails.

Edit - the advantage of living at an Airpark - walk out the backdoor and take a picture!

IMG_4090.JPG

Paul

Last edited:
Inquiring minds want to know---

So, can a standard rod end be used, so the large washer can be installed???:confused:

Hi Paul,

I should have been more clear. I was talking about replacing the included rod end bearing with a standard one that does have a through hole and then using a bolt and large washer like we use elsewhere on the plane.

Geometry

Geometry is the issue. With the standard rod ends and big washers you can induce binding at extreme angles. The CM-3S ball links with studs provide then necessary clearance.

When we developed the JDair steering link we tried several different ball links. We ended up using the CM-3S.

Please note, there is an industrial version and aviation version. We obviously use the aviation version.

I don't really think the safety wire serves a purpose other than making people feel better.:rolleyes:

Hi Paul,

I should have been more clear. I was talking about replacing the included rod end bearing with a standard one that does have a through hole and then using a bolt and large washer like we use elsewhere on the plane.

Hi Darwin,

I have one of the JDAir tail links, but haven't installed it yet. Do you think that the failure mode that occurred with the Silver Bullet rod ends are possible with the JDAir units?

thanks,

Is there an "aviation version"?

When we developed the JDair steering link we tried several different ball links. We ended up using the CM-3S.

Please note, there is an industrial version and aviation version. We obviously use the aviation version.

I have these fittings from JDair on my -4 and wondered about the pedigree. According to Aircraft Spruce, these parts are "General Purpose - Economy". The Aurora website includes them in the commerical bearing catalog with the same description. Is there an aerospace version? I could not find one in the Aurora catalog.

Regards,

Dean Pichon

Hey Paul,

I'm not sure I understand how this safety wire will help in the case of a rod end failure. If the rod end failed, it doesn't look like the safety wire would keep the rod end from dropping off the bearing, leaving only the safety wire connecting the tailwheel link to the bolt. Any significant force then looks like it would simply snap the safety wire. Why not assemble this the same way other rod ends on the aircraft are assembled with a normal rod end, through bolt, and large area washer:

Screen%20shot%202010-06-21%20at%207.50.44%20PM.png

Got the Rocket steering link from Vince F installed this weekend . This link does have the standard rod end and washer configuration as pictured here . I also installed the steering arm that Vince sells , it has a slight twist in it so the rod end is more level . The silver bullet link that was installed before could be forced into an over center condition locking the rudder but the Rocket link cannot . I'm happy with this installation . After seeing the standard rod ends installed , I don't see any reason why they wouldn't work with the silver bullet . The bend angles are basically the same .