justinmg

We have a newly aquired RV9a. It is o-320 powered, and so far we have put 20 hours on it with no problem. We have been using AVGAS and MOGAS about 50/50.
We have recently noticed varying levels of particles when the fuel is checked pre flight. It initially looked like sand, but closer inspection shows small brown, gray and white flakes. When rubbed between the fingers, it disolves up in the fuel, so I am guessing that that is how it got there.
I have read about MOGAS giving a brown residue, but can not find any detail.

Have others had similar experiences, or can offer advice.

I feel a switch back to 100% AVGAS is coming!

Fuel Lube

justinmg said:
We have a newly aquired RV9a. It is o-320 powered, and so far we have put 20 hours on it with no problem. We have been using AVGAS and MOGAS about 50/50.
We have recently noticed varying levels of particles when the fuel is checked pre flight. It initially looked like sand, but closer inspection shows small brown, gray and white flakes. When rubbed between the fingers, it disolves up in the fuel, so I am guessing that that is how it got there.
I have read about MOGAS giving a brown residue, but can not find any detail.

Have others had similar experiences, or can offer advice.

I feel a switch back to 100% AVGAS is coming!

Excess Fuel Lube?

gil in Tucson

Yucky gas

All gas can get contaminated. Get into the routine of flushing out your tanks and cleaning the fuel system before you have problems. If you don't fly your plane, enough, you can keep draining your tanks for the car and you'll always have fresh fuel in your Vans.

huh? avgas in a car? really?

I
f you don't fly your plane, enough, you can keep draining your tanks for the car and you'll always have fresh fuel in your Vans.

i was always under the impression that the lead in avgas would do nasty things to your catalytic converter. unless, of course, you have a '65 mustang without one :) i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong.

john

"Unleaded only"

Phil, doesn't your car have an "unleaded fuel only" sticker, somewhere ?

Do check!

Regards, PilotTonny.

The catalytic converter, and your oxygen sensors as well. Burn it in the lawn mower.