Surfdoc

In the process of getting ready to fabricate part W-925-C (Flap Bracket Attach Angle) I received about 9 feet of the angle in the kit. Does anyone have an easy way to cut small pieces from such long stock? I know silly question but I figured I would post anyway and see if the Think-tank had come up with an easy way besides throwing in the bandsaw and trying to support the piece.

In the process of getting ready to fabricate part W-925-C (Flap Bracket Attach Angle) I received about 9 feet of the angle in the kit. Does anyone have an easy way to cut small pieces from such long stock? I know silly question but I figured I would post anyway and see if the Think-tank had come up with an easy way besides throwing in the bandsaw and trying to support the piece.

I've used a pneumatic cutoff wheel for such a job, with the angle well supported and clamped.

Chris

Cordless angle grinder

I use an angle grinder with a thin kerf cutoff wheel. HF works fine but now I have a cordless. Pretty sweet. Just cut outside the line and sand to final dimension.

What are these made of? If you have a decent miter saw and blade aluminum cuts just like wood. Here are the 1x1 angles from my training project:

https://imgur.com/a/VqrSBqY

Ignore the scratches, etc. That cut is straight from the saw with no cleanup. Just be sure you have enough stock to absorb the 1/8" kerf of the blade.

I use an angle grinder with a thin kerf cutoff wheel. HF works fine but now I have a cordless. Pretty sweet. Just cut outside the line and sand to final dimension.

I have used (at various times), hacksaw, grinder with cut-off wheel like Larry, and a reciprocating saw for cutting angle. The grinder was the quickest and easiest, and I found gave a clean cut, but be careful. I found also it was best to cut just outside, then I cleaned up on a 6" scotchbrite wheel to the final size.

If it won't fit in my bandsaw, I simply use a hacksaw. It's abut as fast.

In fact, it's just not an issue.

Dave
RV-3B workin' away on the fuselage

Fuselage Longeron stock??

I hope you're not getting ready to cut the long fuselage longerons that ship with the wing kit! :eek:

My thought exactly. Be sure to read and re-read your plans and instructions before cutting that LONG piece of Aluminum angle. :eek: