GAHco

Well Known Member
I have finished the tail, wing control surfaces, One wing and the other wing is just one skin away, all on my RV6

Has anyone ever put all of these on an RV7 Fuselage?

If so how did that go?

I know not be possible due to cabin width issues and others, but It sure would be nice to get a little more room in the cabin area.

thanks in advance for your knowledge.

Cabin width is same, but the wing attach is totally different. The -6 spars meet in the middle of the fuselage. The -7 spars just go in a few inches. Sorry, but the -6 wings are not at all compatible with the -7 fuselage.

I appreciate the help.

Thanks, Mel

Its good to have people that have the experience and the knowledge.

I will be fine with a six, but comfort is kind of like money!

Q: How much is enough? A: Just a little bit more!

In regards to more room in the cockpit......

I built my 6A as sort of a 6.25A in that I made some modifications that incorporated some of the changes made for the -7A.

Things like using the smaller gelcell battery and mounting it on the firewall, moving the fuelpump from the left fuselage side to the firewall as in the -7/7A, eliminating the center console and mounting the manual trim knob on the fuel selector mount.

All these things open up the cockpit for some more leg-room.

Also I believe the older -6/6A canopys did not allow for as much headroom as does the -7/7A. Van's ships out the -7/7A canopy now for the -6/6A finish kits, so you reap the benefits of more room in that regard.

Regards,

Sounds better.

painless said:
In regards to more room in the cockpit......

I built my 6A as sort of a 6.25A in that I made some modifications that incorporated some of the changes made for the -7A.

Things like using the smaller gelcell battery and mounting it on the firewall, moving the fuelpump from the left fuselage side to the firewall as in the -7/7A, eliminating the center console and mounting the manual trim knob on the fuel selector mount.

All these things open up the cockpit for some more leg-room.

Also I believe the older -6/6A canopys did not allow for as much headroom as does the -7/7A. Van's ships out the -7/7A canopy now for the -6/6A finish kits, so you reap the benefits of more room in that regard.

Regards,

Thanks for those tips, looks like the differences and benefits would be small indeed, especially with the 7 canopy now going to be avail on the 6. I am 6' 200# and from what I have been hearing its guys taller than me that are feeling more scrunched. I will take your advice for better cockpit and equipment layout. A few more months and I should be able to order my Fusalage Kit. :)

The biggest improvement in head room in the -7 comes from the lowered seat skins. this would require modifying the seat ribs in the -6. Probably doable, but would require a lot of work. You might be able to order new (-7) seat ribs from Van's. Don't know of anyone who has tried this, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.
On the other hand, I have taken many 6 footers in my standard -6 with no problems.