jscottpilot

I want to glue my canopy. I read the recent posts about this but could not find where to locate the procedure for gluing the canopy or where to buy the glue. Could some get me started?

how many tubes of Sikaflex needed

Thanks for the help and the links. The only info I could not find is how many tubes of the Sikaflex I should buy. Does anyone know?

I am still studying how to glue the canopy. On several of the websites they mention gluing the entire canopy front and rear section and then making "the big cut". I cannot figure out how they are doing this. How can you put the glue on the inside and then make the cut from the outside. They must be magic to exit the canopy without the big cut already made. Does anyone have any experience with this.

You need to trim the canopy per the instructions. When you are ready make the big cut. There will still be trimming after the cut, so I don't see how you could glue first. I glued the main canopy and much later installed the rear window allowing good access to the interior. The actual Sikaflex process is relatively easy but you will need someone inside to glue the inside of the canopy aft frame and touch up any excess glue. Just follow the directions for the product and allow 1/8" space for the adhesive. I used hose washers and O rings from Lowes that were 5/32" thick. I did a 7 tip up with slighly over 1 tube. You should have plenty with 2 tubes. The costly items are the cleaner and primer.

Nice pictures, Jim, and a really nice job. I wish mine had come out so neat, but I tried to do the fillet at the same time as the initial gluing and it is a little rough. Kudos on a beautiful result; I think you'll really like it.

I also did not glue until after 'the cut' but you need to be careful that the fairness of fit from windshield-to-canopy is still the same as if you glue it before the cut. That is: if the windshield ends up rotated forward, an acute angle will be formed that will cause a lot more drag.
the other reason to cut before glue is that the saw kerf will be about 1/4" wide, and possibly crooked. You need to fair this up to be the sealing edge before you glue on the pieces or you will have some 'splainin' to do!'
If you check my link below, there are a few pictures of my canopy going together. Note how little tooling is required compared to the conventional method. It's so easy you won't believe it when you're done.

Thanks, a couple of you gave me numbers. I had to go out of town for few days. will call in next couple of days. I am ready to get back to work on the airplane.