ScottSchmidt

Well Known Member
What silicone are you all using to attach the silicon seal to the lower cowl for the radiator?
When I built my -10 Vans recommended RTV to hold the seal to the door. I did many tests and found that the RTV did not hold nearly as well as a silicone like siliconeII (I think). I can't find my picture of what worked.
I tested about 4 different types and one worked significantly better with RTV being the worst.

Silicone Adhesive (RTV)

I used Permatex Silicone Adhesive sealant which is an RTV (Room Temperature Vulcanizing) material: http://www.permatex.com/documents/tds/industrial/81173.pdf

The manufacturer says "This waterproof and flexible adhesive sealant features a temperature range of -80F to 450F; and resists oil, water, weather, vibration, and grease."

It is black in color, commonly available at automotive stores. It is not very tacky when applied so the silicone rubber seal needs to be clamped to the fiberglass duct until it set up.

I have had the cowl off a number of times and check it each time. It holds up well in my experience.

Tony