Chappyd

Well Known Member
I'm about ready to start riveting the ailerons on my -7. I put small blobs of silicone in the elevators and I was wondering if any of you did the ailerons this way too. I know I'll have to spread the skins apart somewhat to get at the solid rivets on the top, and I'm wondering what those who went before have done.

Thanks!!

I was told not to put silicone/RTV in the ailerons. Squeezing the trailing edge of one or the other is the easiest way to remove a "heavy" wing during the test phase. Plus, I don't think the ailerons are as prone to cracking.

I was given the impression by someone at Vans that the elevators get "beat up" by the prop turbulence, and that's what they believe causes the cracking. The ailerons are not exposed to prop blast.

Jim

Cool!

Thanks, I knew I read doing that with the elevators, but couldn't remember if it applied to the ailerons as well. Got the left one all riveted up, right is soon to follow :). Then the flaps, then I'll pull the work benches out and get the wings on the jig.

Last edited:
Thanks Davepar

After looking at your site gave me some ideas about riveting the top of the aileron. I ended up screwing a couple of 2 x 4's to my work bench and mounting the aileron to them, trailing edge up, rivets to be shot facing away from the bench. With this set up I was able to rivet the whole top solo in about 20 min. I could reach under the leading edge and hold the bucking bar with my left hand, and shoot with the right. With all my tools on a rolling cart and my butt on a rolling seat, I just worked my way down! I'll post some pics of it on my site later tonight.

My neighbor and I finished up my left aileron tonight using this method (mounting the spar on 2x4s on work benches) and it worked *great*. Some of the easiest rivet driving we've done, I'd say.

Thanks for the tip...now, on to the flap and the left wing is nearing completion! :)