The Wizzard

Well Known Member
Has anyone done the research regarding the use of Sikaflex 205 (formerly 226) cleaner on plexiglass? I am thinking about using 295 UV as a sealant on my rv-8 canopy where it meets the skirt and was wondering if I needed to use the 205 cleaner first but most importantly will the cleaner harm the plexiglass?

According the MSDS sheet, Sika 205 cleaner is 92% - 98% isopropyl alcohol. Isopropyl alcohol is not recommended for use on plexiglas, as it can cause crazing.

Before I used 226 on my RV-7 canopy I tried it on an abraded piece of acrylic scrap cut from the edge of the bubble. No crazing, so I used it as recommended. The stuff flashes off in a few seconds, so it's not like there is extended exposure.

For what it's worth, we use a lot of clear acrylic at work and clean it with isopropyl alcohol all the time. In 10 years I have yet to see any crazing. Not saying it can't happen, but isopropyl alcohol doesn't seem to be very aggressive. With polycarbonate, it's another story...

As long as the surfaces to be mated are properly prepared, cleaned of all dirt, grime, oils, etc, and primed with Sika primer, you're good to go.

Acrylic or Polycarbonate?

Before I used 226 on my RV-7 canopy I tried it on an abraded piece of acrylic scrap cut from the edge of the bubble. No crazing, so I used it as recommended. The stuff flashes off in a few seconds, so it's not like there is extended exposure.

For what it's worth, we use a lot of clear acrylic at work and clean it with isopropyl alcohol all the time. In 10 years I have yet to see any crazing. Not saying it can't happen, but isopropyl alcohol doesn't seem to be very aggressive. With polycarbonate, it's another story...

Erm...I thought the bubble was polycarbonate, not acrylic? I'm not used to acrylic cracking like I've seen exhibited on many canopies...which again makes me think they're polycarbonate. Maybe Jeff or Becky from Airplane Plastics can chime in?