cnpeters

Well Known Member
I am considering using Sikaflex on the rollbar and canopy frame for my tip up. However, I do not want the either black (or white) Sika primer colors visible. So, if I want the interior tan color or exterior Imron color to be visible where the rollbar is, what are my options?
1) One would be to paint the interior of the plexi that overlays the rollbar, but after reading Sika's site, not sure it is kosher to apply the primer to a painted strip inside the canopy (adhesion issue?).
2) Other option I see is to paint the external canopy where the rollbar is - do folks do this without paint leading edge damage over time? Not sure how well exterior paints work on the canopy glass. I would prefer to not have a targa strip.
Thanks,
Carl

I wouldn't be happy with relying on the paint's bond to hold my canopy on... Maybe painting the outside would be best. You may need to touch it up once in a while to take care of leading edge chips, unfortunately.

Or you could live with the colour of the Sika showing through. Would it detract that much from the appearance?

Paint outside

I sikaflexed (is that a word?) my canopy this last time. I had the painter put a strip of color on the leading edge and strip down the middle of the canopy to cover the black. It looks nice and has held up well.

My leading edge has not chipped, but my leading edge is a very, very good fit. There is a bit of wear on it.

The strip has held up well, except for one chip that came loose due to the canopy handle rubbing against it. It could be touched up fairly easily.

YMMV,