tdk

I want to paint the plexi over the front canopy bow of my slider, to protect the Sika joint under the plexi from UV damage. I know the Sika primer is safe for plexi, and it seems to have held up pretty well after 2 months exposure to the summer sun on a test piece. My question is whether there is a safe paint to topcoat the Sika primer, without adversely affecting the plexiglass?

interesting, never thought about that? I know the Sika is UV rated but not the primer? Are you putting a FG strip over the windshield and roll bar area? that covers that area of concern from the sun....

The canopy bar is not covered when the canopy is open...
Not a big deal, but over the years it will accumulate exposure.

I think not recommended

I remember reading on the Sika website that the primer is NOT to be used as a primary UV protection barrier. I have no idea why they say that, given that it is exactly what it does under the plexi. I would suggest calling them, or email tech support. They answered my question in a day by email.

Response from Sika

Hello Thomas,

I have never heard of using a Sika Primer as a primer layer in a paint system, and I do not know of any data generated to support the use of a Sika Primer as a primer layer in a paint system. I cannot state whether or not a Sika Primer would be a suitable primer layer for a paint system. Additionally, we do not have any preferred paints for use as UV protection, My suggestion would be to find a paint that is UV resistant. Types of paints to stay away from would be any alkyd resin based paints or copper-containing paints as they can affect Sikaflex products (even if they are already cured). Lastly, it is recommended that the UV protection is 2 times the thickness of the window. For example, if the window thickness is 1/8", then the UV barrier should be at least 1/4" wide.

If you have any further technical questions, please do not hesitate to e-mail us back at [email protected]. If you need to find a distributor for our products, please contact our Customer Service Department at 800-688-7452. You can also find a distributor list on our website here:

http://usa.sika.com/en/industry/industry-home/information_request11/find-a-distributor.html

Thank you for your interest in Sika.

Kind regards,

Zach Barnhart
Sika Corporation
Industry Products Division - Technical Services Department
888-832-7452
Global Customers: www.Sika.com
U.S.A. Customers: www.SikaUSA.com