AntiGravity

Well Known Member
It would appear that I am unable to get SIK-226 cleaner here in NZ. In fact, Sika(NZ) didn't even know what is was (so I sent them their own datasheet!). Has anyone used the 205 cleaner successfully when gluing their canopy?

I've advised Sika(NZ) of my application (that is, gluing a polycarbonate to a power-coated frame with bond failure not being an option. I didn't mention the 'A' word!). I'm waiting for them to get back to me but wanted to see if anyone else had used the 205 which seems to be the 'right' one too.

I tried Jamestown Distributors (thanks Mickey), but they cancelled my order because they can no longer ship hazardous materials internationally. Great. :-(

Last edited:
Sikaflex 226

The packing sheet I received with my Sika order has the 226 listed as Isopropanol.
It smells like alcohol that could be sourced locally saving you a ton on shipping.
I would bond up a specimen to test before bonding the glass to the frame just to be sure.

Sika response

Here is the response I received from SIKA NZ. Nonetheless, I shall bond up a test piece before I proceed.

Thanks for your enquiry.

After looking at the Sika Cleaner-226 TDS on the American Sika website, it states that it is a replacement for Sika Cleaner-205, which is a Sika Corporate product. Sika NZ sells and promotes the use of SC-205 as part of the polycarbonate window bonding process, and to my knowledge its replacement worldwide is not a current process.

With this in mind, I can confirm that Burnsco Marine stock SC-205 as a standard product line. We have a number of standard specifications for plastic window bonding available, depending on the substrates involved and the size of the window. If you'd like to view one, let me know your window dimensions and I'll send one through to you. In any case, both SC-205 and Sika Primer-209 are part of this process, and have been successfully used for many years now. Technical Data Sheets on these products as well as Sikaflex-295UV are on our website at www.sika.co.nz.

I trust that this information is to your satisfaction. Please feel free to contact us if we can help in any other way.

I've advised Sika(NZ) of my application (that is, gluing a polycarbonate to a power-coated frame with bond failure not being an option. I didn't mention the 'A' word!).

I think you'll find that the Vans canopies are not polycarbonate.....they're poly(methyl methacrylate)...or acrylic for short. Different chemistry. The Sonex canopies are polycarbonate (they're more impact resistant but they scratch very easily).

I hope you also mentioned to Vans when you ordered the powdercoated canopy frame that bond failure of the powdercoat "was not an option".

I had to re-powdercoat my canopy frame after welding it for a mod. That gave me the opportunity to do some destructive testing of Vans original powdercoating. I actually found that some of the Vans powdercoat just fell off in places due to improper preparation of the steel substrate.

Last edited:
Hey Bob,

Nope, but since I'll be getting my modified frame re-powdercoated I'll be sure to mention it to the painters! ;) I have to say that the original painting on my frame was pretty good; I had to resort to a flapper wheel on my dremel to get it off. Hopefully the new guys will do as good a job.

I have a Todd Canopy, and unless I'm mistaken these are polycarbonate.

I wasn't originally going to sika my canopy, but after all my mods I think it may actually be the easiest way forward. If the fit is good I may do some rivets as well. I'm hoping to get enough time away from skydiving over Christmas (yeah, right, in the middle of the NZ summer!) to cut and fit the canopy. We'll see...

Nope, but since I'll be getting my modified frame re-powdercoated I'll be sure to mention it to the painters! ;) I have to say that the original painting on my frame was pretty good; I had to resort to a flapper wheel on my dremel to get it off. Hopefully the new guys will do as good a job....

If you go to a reputable powdercoater who has bead blasting and proper pre-treatment facilities I'm certain you'll get a more reliable long term adhesion than Vans provides. Progressive corrosion undercreep caused by lack of adequate preparation and passivation is the main killer of powdercoat.

I have a Todd Canopy, and unless I'm mistaken these are polycarbonate.

Jeff, for technical reasons I would doubt your canopy is thermoformed from polycarbonate. I'd be relatively confident it is acrylic. Maybe it might be prudent to check with the manufacturer.