David Paule

Well Known Member
Anyone know where I can get a real one?

A real one has a visible aiming spot. I've found a number that don't have the aiming spot, of if they do, it doesn't work.

Thanks,
Dave

Boy Scouts

It's been a long time since I went looking for one, but you might try your local Boy Scout supplies store. Or perhaps a serious camping or climbing store, like REI. I have a vintage BSA metal mirror with the hole in the middle.

Any mirror will do as a signaling mirror. If you hold the mirror in your right hand infront of your chin area and hold your left thumb up as a "front site" and place it just under your target use the moon or sunlight to light up your left thumb and the target will be lit up also.

I would hate to think of someone not using a mirror in an emergency because it didn't have a hole in it. :rolleyes:

Simple and indestructable

I see so many signalling mirrors that are reflecting only on one side. Obviously, I don't know how to use them.

The Surplus mirror I have had for years is mirrored both sides such that you can see the sun spot on your cheek from the aiming hole. You roughly align your target and then angle the mirror until the sun spot you can see on your cheek in the mirror aligns with the hole in the mirror. Holding that spot alignment, do final targeting by sighting through the hole. Sounds much harder than it is in real life and works like a charm. Not sure how to get the angles right otherwise (with the single sided mirrors).

I have an indestructable version of this that is a piece of polished stainless with a hole in it.

Last edited:
Ah! OK, I see the mesh technology will do the alignment in a slighly different but simple manner. Thanks Alan!

What about...

an old CD?. They have a hole, very reflective, very light weight, and cost nothing. I have a few in my survival bag cause for a while many companies would send them with their junk mail promo's. I particularly like the smaller (3" ?) ones. Hope to not have to use it though.

Bevan
RV7A wiring

Looks like I'm looking for mirrors that meet MIL-M-18371E.

There are a couple places that have these, and I'll try one of them.

Thanks, everyone.

Incidentally, for the people thinking that a CD or a piece of mirrored plexi will suffice, they will probably scatter too much sunlight to be effective. The real mirrors work fine. I've seen them in action.

dave

Signal Mirror: Rescue Reflectors, Inc.

If you need the best, call Malcolm at Rescue Reflectors, Inc. 281 427-5923. I bought one from him last year for $24.

Mike