Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Sign of the Apocalypse?

Driving home from the airport this evening, I stopped in at my usual discount gas stantion to fill the pickup truck...paid $2.69 (an nine tenths!) per gallon of regular unleaded! :eek:

"So what?" you ask...."many places in the country are worse than that already!"

Well yeah, but I had just filled up the airplane at a local, quiet, self-serve pump for $2.70 per gallon of pure 100LL....

Auto gas prices are still going up! And if you think I'm going to give away my secret "cheap Avgas" airfields, well, you've got another thing coming! :D ....Airnav.com has beat me to it anyway...

Paul

Last edited:
NZ fuel prices

I came to NZ nearly ten years ago and during that time auto fuel has more than doubled in price. Since I don't fly (yet) I have no idea what the situation with Avgas is, but I suspect it is similar. I won't be in the engine ordering position for 3-4 years yet, but I'm keeping a watchful eye on this stuff. I have my eye on the Superior XP360, but I am mindful of fuel prices and legislation changes. A recent thread mentioned a diesel engine in development. Need to keep an eye on that too. What a minefield!! :eek:

ease my fears

How timely. I'm on the brink of ordering my tail kit, but these prices have me scared. Will prices be so high in 3-4-5-6 years or however long this thing takes that I won't be able to afford to fly? Will I be looking at $10/gallon AvGas so that my new pride and joy will be a hangar queen? What do ya'll tell yourself that are still in the building process??

How timely. I'm on the brink of ordering my tail kit, but these prices have me scared. Will prices be so high in 3-4-5-6 years or however long this thing takes that I won't be able to afford to fly? Will I be looking at $10/gallon AvGas so that my new pride and joy will be a hangar queen? What do ya'll tell yourself that are still in the building process??

I'm in exactly the same spot (ordering tail). I'm hoping there's a decent diesel/jet-a solution within the next few years. Thielert sure looks good if slightly underpowered (135hp - I'm building a -9). In Europe 100LL is unbelievably expensive, but diesel is pretty cheap.

I think the message is that at this rate, by next week, I'll be running 100LL in my truck.... :p

And Houston is supposed to be Oil Town!

I figure on 3-4 years until I'm in the market for an engine and avionics, and I'm not too worried yet - what would be the point?
The rate things change, it's likely to be a whole new landscape. New avionics (all-in-one cheap VFR/x-c glass?), new engines (diesel?), or even the apocolypse...
We have a little faith or hope and move on, or fear the future/unknown and stand paralyzed...

Roll with it

Mogas prices where I live are currently about CHF 1.50/liter, which is about USD 4.30 per gallon. Avgas, last time I checked, is about CHF 2.10/liter, or about USD 6.10 per gallon. When you pump it at my home airport, there are no prices listed, so you have to ask. Switzerland has pretty low prices compared to most places in Europe.

Believe it or not, you just get used to it, and work your budget a bit and come up with the money. Also, since the weather is often bad, people don't fly as much as they would otherwise. In any case, don't kid yourself into thinking that diesel will be some kind of magic solution, or that the price of gas will come down, particularly with all the saber rattling over Iran. :(

Ironflight said:
Driving home from the airport this evening, I stopped in at my usual discount gas stantion to fill the pickup truck...paid $2.69 (an nine tenths!) per gallon of regular unleaded! :eek:

"So what?" you ask...."many places in the country are worse than that already!"

Well yeah, but I had just filled up the airplane at a local, quiet, self-serve pump for $2.70 per gallon of pure 100LL....

Auto gas prices are still going up! And if you think I'm going to give away my secret "cheap Avgas" airfields, well, you've got another thing coming! :D ....Airnav.com has beat me to it anyway...

Paul

Just to give you all a heads up from down under.... :eek:

1 US Gal = 3.8 ltr
local unleaded fuel = $1.20 per ltr ... Brisbane Australia
so the same 1 US gal purchased here is $4.56 AUD / 3.316 USD :eek:
good thing its only money, and it grows on trees here.

Just paid $4.84 per gallon at Sacramento Jet Center yesterday. And this is from the self serve pump. Off the truck it's 30 cents a gallon higher. :mad: Didn't want to be late for our RV group meeting and paid for it dearly. They are the only supplier on the airport. Now I know why the rental rates at the schools are climbing like an RV. Went to our usual supplier at Yolo airport and paid only $3.49 and 9 tenths for it.

Here's a neat site:

http://100ll.com/