bret

Well Known Member
Out at KMEV early this morning, my daughter wanted to go flying before work in the Sky hawk, I saw a 6 taxi by our plane as it was being toped off, I gave him a thumbs up and gave him a me two, suggesting me a fellow RVer, and a number seven and riveting suggester, I don't know if he thought I was a mentally disturbed individual that found his way onto the flight line, or if he actually knew what I was talking-signing about. Any way, I just get excited to see fellow RVers, and maybe one day, I will actually be like one of you cool folks, OK. Back to work on the fuse priming and paint. O, did I say primer?

Probably gets old.

When I was a new Harley rider, I thought the brotherhood between fellow motorcyclists was kind of cool. The sign is a dropped hand, kind of pointing toward the ground with a finger or two when you pass another bike on the highway. I also thought it rude when some one wouldn't bother with "the sign" when they would pass despite my best efforts.

After a few years riding, it got to, Dude, yeah, cool, we're brothers of the highway, great. But I just want to ride. Enough already.

Assuming its the same for seasoned RVers. Not quite there yet though, so I assume I'll be part of the enthusiastic RV crowd for years. Can't imagine it'll ever die, but history tells me it's normal human nature. :D:D

I chased down a fellow RV'er last week when he cranked up and was taxiing out, with his wife in the plane, gave him a 30-second chat about his panel and paint job through the cracked-open slider on the apron, he just mostly looked at me like I'd lost my mind.

I guess I can understand it - there are so many pretenders and "almost-got-there" people, you finally stop paying attention to them. I'm not flying yet, most of a year from there, and I'm already tired of all the emails from people on the fringes who have not gotten serious about starting yet. It does get old after a while. I hope I don't get too jaded, I know the joy I felt when I was learning about the RV's and I don't want to be the guy that throws cold water on them.

Last edited:
When I was a new Harley rider, I thought the brotherhood between fellow motorcyclists was kind of cool. The sign is a dropped hand, kind of pointing toward the ground with a finger or two when you pass another bike on the highway. I also thought it rude when some one wouldn't bother with "the sign" when they would pass despite my best efforts.

After a few years riding, it got to, Dude, yeah, cool, we're brothers of the highway, great. But I just want to ride. Enough already.

Assuming its the same for seasoned RVers. Not quite there yet though, so I assume I'll be part of the enthusiastic RV crowd for years. Can't imagine it'll ever die, but history tells me it's normal human nature. :D:D

Comparing guys (accountants, doctors, airline pilots) that take out a checkbook and buy a motorcycle... Oh wait... Harley :rolleyes:... Then they buy out the dealerships clothing shop to look like MadMax with RV builders?

I've been flying 22 years and paying the bills flying for 18 of them. I will talk to anyone about airplanes. I can discuss a 152 for hours with its owner. Not because I think the 152is awesome, but because I enjoy others that are passionate about the same subject that I am.... Aviation. Aviation has barriers to entry that don't exist in other hobbies or professions.

Somebody says, "I'm a pilot" regardless of ratings or level instantly gives me insight into them as a person and what they've done in life.

I still give a "hey" to any uniformed pilot when walking through the terminal. Regardless if they are young with 3 stripes or white haired with worn out 4 stripes... they drop a "hey" back.

Hasn't gotten old yet... And I'm thankful for that.

*** I love motorcycles... All of them, including air-cooled American kind

Yep;
I have time for them, someone has to keep the flame alive.
But I also am learning how to disengage. People often don't know how.
So a newby or other builder may start a conversation with you, but don't really know how to wrap it up. So a conversation can go on longer than either of you want it to.
"I'd love to talk about it some more, but if I don't get back at it, this thing will never get done!"
That works when you are talking to a builder, they know so well the truth in it.

on the flip side, having a motorcycle, a jeep, and a RV, there are too many required hand gestures for each "brotherhood" and I invariably forget

so everyone is always driving, flying, or riding by me making gestures and i feel rude for having neglected my portion

on the flip side, having a motorcycle, a jeep, and a RV, there are too many required hand gestures for each "brotherhood" and I invariably forget
I was tending a fire extinguisher for "some guy" lighting his T2-B one day. Closest thing to a carrier I've ever been on is the SS Badger. He started giving me a bunch of hand signals like a puppeteer on speed. I thought about it a second and just made some new ones up and threw them back at him. He sorta sniffed and turned his head away. Didn't talk to me much after that.

I was tending a fire extinguisher for "some guy" lighting his T2-B one day. Closest thing to a carrier I've ever been on is the SS Badger. He started giving me a bunch of hand signals like a puppeteer on speed. I thought about it a second and just made some new ones up and threw them back at him. He sorta sniffed and turned his head away. Didn't talk to me much after that.

Funny one.

I had to scoll down pretty far on google images to find a T2-B that wasnt from star wars or a vw mircobus but I finaly came to this... A Sepecat Jaguar T2.b?