gmpaul

I have sl 40 and a ps1000 audio. The problem is side tone which is blasting loud during transmitting. Volume and clarity is great till I key the mike. I sent the ps1000 in for service and they found nothing wrong. When upon reinstalling the ps 1000 every thing worked fine for one flight. Now it's back to turning my earphones all the way down to be able to stand it and you can still hear the over driving. Any ideas what I should look for when I drop my panel and start probing around?

You know the sidetone level can be adjusted via the SL-40s menu, right? What level is it set at now? What happens if you turn it down to zero?

Bob is correct, sidetone can be handled from either the radio or audio panel.
It is usual for the radio to handle it and the audio panel sidetone to be disabled. A setting on the radio is very easy in the setup mode.
Also make sure you don't have your headset configured to mono if the audio panel and jacks are stereo.

I have a PS PAR100EX/SL-30 set up. My SL-30 was blasting me in the sidetone once I had finished troubleshooting an antenna issue with it, so I tuned the sidetone setting on the SL-30 way down to around 15 and that solved the problem. 15 might be a bit low, so I will adjust it up some when I get around to it - but, much much better.

Setting the sidetone to zero slaves it to the volume knob, which is nice because if you don't hear yourself when you transmit you likely won't hear any answer either, like when your pilot passenger fiddles with the volume when your head is turned.

In what unit/s??

Sorry Mike, I don't know what units. The sidetone level seemed comparable to the recieve audio level when I had an SL40 configured this way.

Per the SL40 Pilot's Guide, page 12, "The range is from 0 to 255", and "Setting the value to 0 slaves the sidetone level to the volume control knob".

OK, you were talking about the SL 40. I would assume the SL 30 is the same.

It was not clear if you were talking about the Garman SL's, or the PS PAR100EX ----------thus my prior question.

Same problem

Over the past year, I 've turned down the sidetone level on my SL-30 twice, and still need to turn it down more. Mine does not go to 255 ... I don't have the manual close-by, but I think the max is either 50 or 100. Presently, mine is set to something below midrange on the SL-30 adjustment.