bkervaski

Hellloooooooo!
Testing
What are you guys doing to the side steps as far as finishing? Just paint? I was wondering if any more durable solutions were out there, it's some kind of treated alloy but doesn't appear to be aluminum, perhaps steel (unsure). Mine has a factory gray finish of some kind but starting to show tiny rust spots.

They are steel with a fine rust coating from factory. I removed the rust, epoxy primed and then painted. I will put an no slip piece of black stickie on the foot pad.

They are steel with a fine rust coating from factory. I removed the rust, epoxy primed and then painted. I will put an no slip piece of black stickie on the foot pad.

+1 and don't forget to prime the inside. I primed mine as part of the very first batch of priming of parts.

Acid Nickel Zinc

I am guessing that the steps are 4130 Chrome Molly steel.

I had mine plated with Nickel Zinc; first acid bathed and then dipped in the NZ.

Had to open up the drain hole to around 5/32" as the steps are conveyed through the baths and the solutions need to drain out of the step tube in less than 20 seconds - 5/32" drains them in about 9 seconds.

Being fully immersed, they get coated inside and out. Lots of protection.

You can then powder coat or paint - I will paint and apply an adhesive grip strip on step.

Last edited:
You can then powder coat or paint - I will paint and apply an adhesive grip strip on step.

I have that adhesive grip strip in the cockpit and it has lasted almost 8 years now.

On my wings I have ?painted grip/anti slip? and it also has lasted almost 8 years and still going strong.