Coinneach

Well Known Member
Is it possible (or recommended) to cut side doors into a -9's baggage area? Going over the seats seems awkward.

I suppose anything is possible. Initially, I wanted to do just such a thing so that I could easily load my dog into the back.

After further consideration, I abandoned the idea. That whole area lends HUGE strength to the assembly. To do willy nilly, feel good engineering there would be just wrong.

Just my $0.02...

:) CJ

That's what I figured. I looked over the plans and couldn't see any way to make up for the loss of skin strength.

If you built a slider then you can use the Meske tip-up mod. Works great for rear access.

I'm doing a tip-up. Baggage access in the tipper -9A that I got a ride in didn't really impress me; looked like it required a lot of gymnastics.

Baggage access

I don't remember who did it, but someone replaced the rear canopy window of a tipup with gull-wing baggage doors. It is structurally sound, and certainly makes access easy. I saw pics of it, and it looks decent, too.

Cut the seat back down

I have a tip-up and I'm thinking of cutting an inch or two off the top of the seat back. Since my plane is finished, I have to redo the seat upholstery, that's why I haven't done it yet. As a bonus, you will save a little weight!

Bruce
RV-6A 480 hours on grass

I don't remember who did it, but someone replaced the rear canopy window of a tipup with gull-wing baggage doors. It is structurally sound, and certainly makes access easy. I saw pics of it, and it looks decent, too.

Very cool, I'll look for this mod. Thanks for the heads-up. :)

Is it possible (or recommended) to cut side doors into a -9's baggage area? Going over the seats seems awkward.

You might not need this. I've loaded folding bikes and lots of luggage through the top. It really isn't a big thing - and I even have a slider.