Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Since Doug mentioned it on the news page, let me add my two cents...

I know that we all hate TFR's, but please, please, PLEASE stay away from the KSC airspace tomorrow. Getting a shuttle to the Space Station requires us to have a veyr short launch window - less than ten minutes, and frequently only five. That means that we have to have everything ready to go at the right time - there is no time for us to intercept an errant boat or airplane that just nudges the restricted areas at the last minute. If someone is in the way at that time - the launch is scrubbed.

When you consider the amount of effort that it takes to get everyone, and everything, lined up to be Go for launch, and then factor in the weather restrictions, it would be a shame if we lost a launch opportunity because someone made a small navigation error and wandered into the way. The last thing we want is to read in the paper that "The shuttle launch was delayed because of a small (homemade) airplane...."

Cross your fingers on the weather, find a good spot on the ground to watch if you are fortunate to be close to KSC, and let's get back to flying!

Paul F. Dye
RV-8 Finish Kit
Lead Flight Director
Space Shuttle Operations

Doug-- RV talk

Doug: I think you should twist Paul's arm and get him to interview on RV talk. Tell us why he chose the RV8, his flying background, talk about the launch a little, etc. What a great credit to Vans airplanes. The space shuttle flight director is building one!!

And his message here re: the TFR is good advice, also. Jack

I want to fly Flash down to Houston and see Paul's RV-8 project in person. Would make a good RVTalk...and my sister/her family live in nearby Katy...so any reason to visit is good enough.

Paul, when you help get Discovery safely in orbit and back on the ground I'll give you a ring.

Fingers and toes crossed for a great mission !!!

B,

DeltaRomeo said:
...fly down to Houston and see Paul's RV-8 project in person.

And what a nice RV-8 it's gonna be. The panel? Yep, looks like a Shuttle. So, get a load of how lame I am; a few weeks ago a fellow builder and I went to Paul's to see his project, take some pictures, pick his brain about the landing gear attachments, etc. I was so busy looking at and asking about his RV I forgot to even ask about his day job! Probably just as well, I'm not quite smart enough to understand all that rocket science... would be just a wee bit over my head.

Thanks for the tour of your project Paul!

John
RV-8QB
Cypress, TX

Sts-114 Launch!!!

Just to continue this thread...we had a successful launch this morning, right on time, and boy was it beautiful, especially with some new cameras mounted on the ET.
I was not aware of anyone violating airspace around KSC this morning...so thanks everyone...and let's hope and pray the crew has a safe mission including the return. I believe it's scheduled for August 11.

Don Hull :D

Well said Don. It was beautiful!! I watched it on TV from Bloomington, IL this morning, and the camera angles were spectacular! Way to go guys!

Safe flight, and Godspeed.

Couldn't agree more! The view from the external tank when the Shuttle separated was SPECTACULAR!!!

Loved it!

Thanks for the Support!

Glad everyone liked the launch as much as we did! The Discovery and her crew are doing great - this is the first chance I have had to check the forum since launch - just thought I'd throw out how much we appreciate hearing words of support from folks.

Flying the Shutle is aviation at its fastest and highest!

Due to the launch slip, and the limited number of people in my office, I found myself on a plane to Moscow within hours of launch, to fill our senior liason position with our Russian counterparts. I think it's fate's way to make sure I have 100% concentration on the mission, and can't slip in to the workshop for a few hours....no work on the RV-8 for at least ten days!

Hey, any RV-8 builders in Moscow....?

Paul Dye
Lead Flight Director
Jet-lagged and workin' 24/7

Ironflight said:
Hey, any RV-8 builders in Moscow....?

YESSS!!!! There are! :cool:
It is not exactly 8, we actually build 7s and have 9s and 10s here waiting.
Paul, if you will have time in Moscow - call me, I'll be glad to talk to you and show you the building process and some Russian planes. I'll mail you my phone number.

P.S. Our site is: www.rvgroup.ru
But they are in Russian. :eek: YET! :D
e-mail: [email protected]

Alex Ratkin
RV Group
President

Last edited: