Hi all,

I've been following the Z-14 wiring schematic for my electrically dependant RV-7. I also plan to use GRT EFIS and their EIS system. Without looking far enough ahead I did a great job of installing shunts for the electrical load meters. Duh! Now I realize the the GRT EIS system uses hall effect sensors! Well, maybe having an always up load meter for each electrical system wouldn't be all that bad. Does anyone have a source for good quality load meters?

Who would just rip out the shunts and go with the EIS hall effect system?? Can I read the load on each of my two systems with the EIS?

Thanks in advance and thanks for the great input for my last question.

Don Owens

Yes you can use the EIS, yes you can get gauges for shunts

springcanyon said:
Hi all, I've been following the Z-14 wiring schematic for my electrically dependant RV-7. I also plan to use GRT EFIS and their EIS system. Without looking far enough ahead I did a great job of installing shunts for the electrical load meters. Duh! Now I realize the the GRT EIS system uses hall effect sensors!
Right the GRT uses hall effect and the shunts will not work at all.
springcanyon said:
Well, maybe having an always up load meter for each electrical system wouldn't be all that bad. Does anyone have a source for good quality load meters?
Do you really want to do that? You can buy more hall effects and run those to the GRT EIS aux inputs of which I think there are 6 of them. It is up to you.

If you want to keep the shunt and add discrete load meters or ammeters, you need to match them to the shunt. Depending on your shunt (typically 1mV drop for 1 amp) you will need a matching gauge. If you are handy with electronics you can buy a little digital panel meter for $10 and install it if you have a 1 to 1 shunt (1mV per 1 amp). If you tell me the shunt rating I might be able to tell you what to buy.
springcanyon said:
Who would just rip out the shunts and go with the EIS hall effect system?? Can I read the load on each of my two systems with the EIS?
Well I personally would go with the hall effect and EIS, even if it means a re-do. It will give you alarm capability. Plus adding more gauges and holes in the panel is not desirable in my opinion. Yes by all means you can use the EIS for more than one electrical system amp monitoring. You will need to buy additional hall effect meters. I can help you with that.
springcanyon said:
Thanks in advance and thanks for the great input for my last question. Don Owens
Good luck don let me know if I can help, you can email me off line if you like.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help!

Thanks George, for the good information. I guess I like the idea of having a couple of round dials in the panel. I just ordered a meter from Aeroelectric. I guess I can still add hall effect sensors to feed the EIS. Anyway I can go on with the wiring now.

Thanks,
Don Owens

Don:

Another option to consider:

Run both systems through the same Hall sensor (in the same flow direction). This will give you the combined amps. When 1 alternator goes out, you'll know and you'll be able to monitor your remaining system. Combined with your voltage reading in the GRT, you should have sufficient monitory this way. It will also free up one aux port for something else.

Jekyll

Good idea

Jekyll said:
Don:

Another option to consider:

Run both systems through the same Hall sensor (in the same flow direction). This will give you the combined amps. When 1 alternator goes out, you'll know and you'll be able to monitor your remaining system. Combined with your voltage reading in the GRT, you should have sufficient monitory this way. It will also free up one aux port for something else.

Jekyll
That is a good one Jekyl. Yea I forgot the hall effect can add or handle multiple wires and total current (amps). May not help here depending on what Don likes (looks like a separate gauge) but good idea. G