andyrv

Well Known Member
I remember seeing a post a few years ago but can't find it. Looking for a place on TX coast or LA/TX coastal area where I can fly from McKinney and get access to fresh shrimp off the boat to haul back home. Seems like someone had found a small airport with a car that was close to the boats.

Thanks,
Andy
McKinney, TX

Try Mustang Island at Port Aransas, Tx. Nice airport & you can go to the docks & boats come in & sell shrip.

Shannon Evans

You can buy it right off the back of the boat 365 days a year in Seabrook (Houston/Galveston area), but the interesting thing is, the season isn't open 365 days a year.....much of what you buy is shipped in frozen from other parts of the world and dumped INTO the boat to sell to tourists....

Best prices on Shrimp around here (just a few miles from Seabrook)? HEB meat counter! :rolleyes:

Do a search on Palacious, TX. I think there is a great restaurant there and shrimp available close by via loaner crew car from the airport.

You can buy it right off the back of the boat 365 days a year in Seabrook (Houston/Galveston area), but the interesting thing is, the season isn't open 365 days a year.....much of what you buy is shipped in frozen from other parts of the world and dumped INTO the boat to sell to tourists....

Now that has to be the funniest thing I have heard in a long time.
Sheer marketing genius. Why spend all that money/energy going out to to fish when you can just stay tied up to the dock and make money. It's brilliant I tell you.

This response might be a little late, but try Port Aransas Mustang Beach over by the car ferrys. Look for the biggest shrimp boat in the harbor. Polly Anna, I believe. Go in the morning or they'll be sold out. There's a couple fish markets in the same general area. If you don't have a car, you can take the trolley (25 cents) from the airport. It makes it's round trip everywhere, all around town, every hour.

There's a marked difference in taste between fresh Gulf shrimp and frozen store shrimp. Perhaps Gulf shrimp come pre oiled. The last I looked (and ate) raw store frozen shrimp were farm raised in India for crying out loud. Is nothing sacred???
Aransas Pass is also a good airport close to Con Brown Harbour or Rockport.

Shrimp from Vietnam

They had a special on shrimp coming from Vietnam that was raised in sewer water on the Discover channel. Scarry

Be careful. I know of a certain air superiority fighter that was used to bring shrimp back to home base after a trip to Eglin. The shrimp was bagged and placed in "Bay 5" behind the cockpit. Everything was working well until the bag broke. The shrimp smell was around for days and the liquid/seawater ended up doing a lot of corrosion damage on the structure below the bay.

Best place to buy

Best prices on Shrimp around here (just a few miles from Seabrook)? HEB meat counter! :rolleyes:

Just like Key West. Asked the Hotel clerk where to get the best Key Lime Pie?
Answer: Bakery counter at Publix Super Market.:D

Paul's right on, as usual....

I don't live too far from the coast and enjoy good shrimp. There is an HEB Central Market located at 320 Coit in Plano you can easily raid. They really do have a great meat & fish section. For all the hassel, I don't think the trip would be worth any taste difference.

The trip to Port A is super nice. They have some great restaurants.

Enjoy though, whatever you choose Andy. :D Hey, do you fly out of Aero Country (T31)??

If you ever intend to stay in Port Aransas, there's a motel there called "Amelia's Landing" that's owned by airplane people: Jay and Mary Honeck. They're happy to give you rides to/from the airport. They own and fly a Cherokee 235 Pathfinder, but don't hold that against them... they do intend to upgrade to an RV someday :D

HEB Central Market

Yep. I am based at T31 for most of the year. That's good info. I didn't know Central Market was part of HEB. Of course I'll still have to make a few trips south just for the sake of flying down there. My son and I have made the Port A a few times as well just to get out of the house.

Thanks,
Andy

Port Aransas Shrimp

I get shrimp in Port Aransas several times a year. Fly into the Mustang Island airport. The trolley runs every day from 10am to 6pm comes by the airport every 50 minutes. Just tell the trolley driver to take you to the shrimp boat by the pier he will know where it is. The thing is the boat is out all night then comes in to sell the catch in the morning, The trolley does not start running till 10am and on weekends they can sell out before you get there. The best thing to do is go on a weekday and have your plane tied down and be ready for the trolley at 10am.