Chino Tom

Well Known Member
Patron
Thought I would start something more friendly than last week's high/low road debate :D Seems like every third time I visit the VAF home page, that fancy Italian Scooter is staring at me. Now I know Texas is closer to the that scooter's homeland than us here in CA, so maybe that's why my RV-8 heh's hangar mate is from the other side of the other ocean. Now I'm not trying to start anything here, we have our share of bicycles and golf carts here at Chino, but mine maybe the only SoCal Wing's scooter. Started with one of those electric cheapo jobs but upgraded to be more in line with the Chino Power Squadron theme (which started with everyone having to have a O-360 which didn't last long as soon as Dan C. installed his 200 hp). Seems the RVers around here (and most places) have their fair share of Monkee see, Monkee do! Any way, post a picture of your airport ride. Here is mine.

scooter008a.jpg

Last edited:
Honda Ruckus

I saw the aircraft-parking crews at Oshkosh using these in 2007, and I had a heck of a time finding a new one for sale. The Honda dealer in town told me they sell out almost as soon as they arrive in the fall every year.

It gets 80 miles per gallon, and it'll do 38 MPH.

With a slight tailwind.

If I crouch down.

Going downhill.
:D

HondaRuckus-small.jpg

Loads of fun at the airport and elsewhere!

Here's mine:

It cost me all of $50.

Now I have more in new tires on it than it cost me. The best part is can mow the grass around the hangar with it.

Timely

Interesting thread to come up right now. I'm in the process of getting an old Honda three wheeler set up for my airport ride/airplane tug. The one I have has reverse and a low range gearbox so it should work great.

Bill, I looked at your video using the tractor to tow your plane. Did you make a tow bar to tow the plane? Do you use it to push the plane out also? Could you provide more details on it such as how you're attaching to the tail wheel?

Thanks

Ted

When I get mine all done I will post a picture.

Last edited:
A converted 1984 Jaguar XJS

.....that I bought 10 years ago with no engine. A trip to a salvage yard yielded a low mileage Tuned port Chevy 350 with transmission. A retrofit kit was bought and,,,voila!! Many of these conversions giving new life to tired old Jags.
Jagathangar.jpg

Regards,

Interesting thread to come up right now. I'm in the process of getting an old Honda three wheeler set up for my airport ride/airplane tug. The one I have has reverse and a low range gearbox so it shoul work great.

Bill, I looked at your video using the tractor to tow your plane. Did you make a tow bar to tow the plane? Do you use it to push the plane out also? Could you provide more details on it such as how you're attaching to the tail wheel?

Thanks

Ted

When I get mine all done I will post a picture.

Check this thread:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?p=337387#post337387

Don't have one with the plane in the background, it's still in too many small pieces.

2ahip11.jpg

Ed

[RV-8 Emp]

Last edited:
Airport ride...

Some day after I'm done with my kit airplane I'll build my kit car...

airportride.jpg

Oooooooooohh yeah, am Mk3 Roadster by Factory Five. :cool:

Well, this will no doubt get the "weenie" award in the category, but here is my Currie Tech electric bike. I bought it when we were building the airplane at Fleming Field in St. Paul, MN. Frequent trips to a buddies hangar at the other end of the airport were reason enough. Brought it to Florida and keep it at the hangar, but don't really have much need for it here.

de8pye.jpg

(Note tired airplane washer sitting off to the side):D

Kinda surprised

That someone hasn't posted a picture of their gnarliest pair of shoes they use at the airport...:D:D:D

"life is good in SoCal"

airportride.jpg

(Actually two hangars up from mine, so it's not mine, just in the neighborhood. Tricked out a bit, 450hp, sounds sweet.)

--Paul

how's this for an airport car?

My buddy Paul Romine.... 7000hp, runs the 1/4 in 5.81 sec @ 240 mph... the body is entirely made from carbon fiber.

img2287haz.jpg

Back to Mundane Reality

I thought "airport ride" meant what you get around the airport on/in.
Silly me! :p
All I need is a big "Smiley" :) on the front, using the headlights as eyes. Another round tuit, I guess.

HangarStuff003.jpg

Miniature roadracing sidecar, built from bits of two 50cc Honda mopeds. The body was actually my first scratchbuilt fiberglass project; Rutan style, moldless over foam. I was racing back then and wanted a pit bike capable of hauling tires and fuel jugs.

My daughter wrecked it when she was about 13 and fractured the bodywork (didn't fracture her bodywork, thank God). I pitched the glass and kept the rest; it still serves as a taxiway rat. If you visit a chapter fly-in at 08A, look for it as the follow-me vehicle.

BTW, the little red-haired girl is 21 now.