Blw2

Well Known Member
Recent two threads about work benches have me thinking that it might be interesting to see how variously folks have configured their shops for building.

There's probably already a few threads about this here, but I so far have not found them. I do recall seeing some photos in other threads, but not collected together. So if this is horribly redundant, my apologies....

Photos showing the layout, floor plan sketches, etc.... all fair game.
Where/how tools are located, parts stored, aircraft jigged up, etc...

Might be good food for thought for future builders to see possibilities in their own spaces thay might not otherwise consider...

yep, very nice.

I especially liked the extra long bench (although now I'm left wondering just how long of a Bench one should have....and I know there's "need" and "would be nice" for this variable & depends on the project of course...)

and I liked the idea of keeping a "clean" bench and clean areas

Thought came to mind... while you were showing your grinder bench and the idea of vacuuming it up... still seems like a lot of stuff around to clean under and around.... so I thought maybe an overhead exhaust hood (like over a stove in the house) might help draw dust away form such operations...and also plumbing up a dust collection system at each grinder wheel....

yep, very nice.

I especially liked the extra long bench (although now I'm left wondering just how long of a Bench one should have....and I know there's "need" and "would be nice" for this variable & depends on the project of course...)

and I liked the idea of keeping a "clean" bench and clean areas

Thought came to mind... while you were showing your grinder bench and the idea of vacuuming it up... still seems like a lot of stuff around to clean under and around.... so I thought maybe an overhead exhaust hood (like over a stove in the house) might help draw dust away form such operations...and also plumbing up a dust collection system at each grinder wheel....

The long bench was the result of building some glider wings, and then just gettin gushed to having it. The things was supposed to be temporary, but I haven’t needed the space, so it hasn’t gone away….

Dust collection systems would be nice, but I’d rather spend that money on airplane tools! ;)

Paul

The only decent picture I have is from October 2015 when I moved in. It's never been that clean or uncluttered since. But the build thread is here; https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/threads/airplane-factory-shop-build.284191/

Right now... it's an utter disaster. Probably not the best example to use. Stuff everywhere, and it probably won't get any better until I finish all this (expletive deleted) (expletive deleted) (expletive deleted) fiberglass and paint...

I have pictures of my workshop in this thread: https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/threads/new-workshop-build-progress.401725/

20200418_workshop3.jpg

20200418_workshop7.jpg

20190809_tool_cart2.jpg