Tram

Well Known Member
Hey guys-

We are thinkin' about replacing the grips in our 6.. We just got a Bubble Buster to put in the plane and are thinking about replacing the grips..

We'd like to have a PTT in the left stick.. :)

Never thought I'd say this but.. Show us your stick! :)

Jeff

I have the CH also

I have Ch products grips I like the look and the way they fit my hand.http://www.chproducts.com/oem/aircraft.html

I have the same grip. I love it!
FP17112007A0002D.jpg

FP13082007A00044.jpg

Seems like that is a very popular grip all across the board..

We are thinking about picking up a "3" switch for the pilot side and a single trigger switch for the pax side..

I sent them an e-mail for pricing, anyone willing to tell me what they paid for theirs?

Last edited:
CH Products pricing

Here's what I paid a few weeks ago:

Hi Rob,
The 8 function grips are 125.00 each and the 2 function ones are 99.00, I
also have a 8 function with the relay deck built in at 169.00.
I only sell direct. 760-598-2518.
Best regards Kevin.

Ditto for the CH grips, besides, Kevin is a RV pilot.

Really pleasant folks to work with.

I am in the process of wiring the sticks at this time, excellent multi colored diagram that matched the wire colors, even the wires from each switch grouping are shrink wrapped into separate bundles.

Handle is symmetrical, fits either hand.

Thanks guys.. :)

Looks like I need to look into how hard it will be to wire them up..

I think we're only going to be wiring the PTT, as we don't have any other goodies on it right now that need switches.. :D

Maybe I can talk pops into a smoke system.. LOL..

Stick Ver 2.0

I made these from a couple of aluminum "mushrooms" I turned. the foam is from ice scraper handles. Total cost about 8 bucks! I not trying to be thrifty just didn,t like nothing on the market. Van would be proud;)
img1182sub0.jpg

I made a temporary stick grip, and I haven't changed it.

It's a piece of poly pipe heated with my heat gun and formed with seaming pliers. Estimated cost, about $0.50 plus switches.

Doesn't look as fly as others I've seen, but does the job. It's held on with a hose clamp at the bottom, but my plan is to drill and tap for a screw to hold it in place. I also considered wrapping it with bicycle handlebar tape, but haven't yet.

118_1880_2.jpg

118_1881_2.jpg

118_1882_2.jpg

118_1889_1.jpg

Stick Grips?

Does anyone know of a source for these stick grips?

The aeroplane is a Diamond Twinstar.

I grips should be available through Diamond as a spare part, but I'm wondering whether they are commercially available (cheaper) elsewhere.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

11.jpg

Last edited:
My gripping story

DSC03036.jpg

My stick grips are one of my favorite parts of the airplane.

There is a guy named George in my town who is just plain out a friendly and helpful guy. He is also real handy.

I don't recall ever asking George for help, but during the airplane building process he just seemed to show up when needed. Time for a bucker, there would be George with bucking bar in hand.

One day, probably after I had installed the control sticks, he showed up with two grips. I asked him where they came from and he said he bought some cherrywood at a garage sale and just made them.

They don't have a lot of buttons and cost only around $3.00 plus the buttons (I think the Radio Shack PTT was around $5.00 for two) but I think they have lots of character and I wouldn't trade them for any other grips I have seen.

I won't even go into the time George helped me build a fuel trailer out of bed frames he got out of alleys.

looking for military style

Anyone have a good source for a simple one button grip for PTT only, but that looks a little fancier than real basic and is fairly priced? Love the infinity, maybe i could hook up the extra buttons to one of those noise machines with gun noises, and one labelled passenger ejection seat.

Does anyone know of a source for these stick grips?

The aeroplane is a Diamond Twinstar.
Diamond uses the same grip on the DA40 and DA42, which makes sense since the DA42 is an evolution of the DA40. They are a good size and have the necessities, PTT, AP disc and Trim, and all the buttons have a good feel and have different tactile feel to them (i.e., your fingers can differentiate them based on size and feel, not just location). However, I'm sure they cost $$$$.

I have always liked the idea of having only PTT, AP disc and trim on the stick - only the stuff you're going to use frequently - and also having it ambidextrous so you can fly with either hand.

TODR

'Hate to admit this but my stick grips are the kind that you put on a golf club! They have a hole in the center of the end that you can feed the PTT switch shaft through. My PTT is mounted in the center of a washer that is held in place by the grip, with the shaft feeding through the hole and the button pushed on the end of the shaft. 'Not so elegant, and it doesn't look like a fighter pilot's grip that is festooned with lots buttons, but it does the job. 'Course, it doesn't impress the locals, but it works great!

I can't show you pictures of mine, but if you visit the aviation/bicycle department of Wal-Mart, you can see them first hand. I believe they were $1.99 for the matching set of 2. Now to be perfectly honest, I have had to replace them once in 15 years.
PTT is in a chrome snap plug in the top of the stick.

Stick Grip

Anyone have a good source for a simple one button grip for PTT only, but that looks a little fancier than real basic and is fairly priced? Love the infinity, maybe i could hook up the extra buttons to one of those noise machines with gun noises, and one labelled passenger ejection seat.
Rick,
This what you looking for:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-...226170950QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180226170950
Mike H 9A/8A Let me scratch around, I may have one as well.