Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I'm looking at how others have tackled mounting an Ipad in the cockpit. Especially interested if someone used some type or RAM mount.

Ram

I used the Ram mount, upsized to the bigger ball from others advice and have been very happy. I positioned it like this so that if I upgrade the panel and add a second dynon, the ipad can pivot, and be repositioned over to the right, on an angle in the corner. Works great so far.

jr64jl.jpg

eq368j.jpg

9k06c6.jpg

Last edited:
RV-4 or RV-8 pilots?

I'm flying an RV-8 and thus far, I have not found a suitable option other the the kneeboard. Every other location blinds too many instruments (a traditional round gauge panel).

I tried the ipad on a kneeboard in my RV-8 and it didn't work too well because it limited side movement of the stick - I couldn't get my leg out of the way because of the kneeboard/ipad on it. Jon Thocker had an articulating arm mounted on the bottom of the right side of his panel that worked well. It may have blocked his view of his switch panel, but didn't block anything important on his IP. That was before his bird was smashed at SNF. Maybe he will want to sell it.

I just ordered the Ram mount that works with IPADS with cases installed. Hope it works OK....

I plan to mount it using the ball mount that I already have on my panel that I use for my backup handheld radio sometimes. It is just to the right of my center radio stack.

1t33gg.jpg

Last edited:
Ipad Ram Mount

Here's mine. I used the 1" ball but I bet the 1 1/2" ball would be better.

026pp.jpg

066pp.jpg

Pat and Rick,

You both mentioned using the larger RAM ball mount. Has there been an issue with vibes or creep with the 1" ball? I have a couple 1" mounts in use already (iPhone and IFLY700), and a few different length arms that I plan to use when I get an iPad, so just wondering if I'll need/want to go bigger at that time. Hoping not, so any feedback is appreciated.

Cheers,
Bob

Bob,

I will let you know soon as I get mine. I have a 1" ball already on the panel....I doubt with the short or middle length arm that it could make much difference but with the long arm it might.

Pat and Rick,

You both mentioned using the larger RAM ball mount. Has there been an issue with vibes or creep with the 1" ball? I have a couple 1" mounts in use already (iPhone and IFLY700), and a few different length arms that I plan to use when I get an iPad, so just wondering if I'll need/want to go bigger at that time. Hoping not, so any feedback is appreciated.

Cheers,
Bob

Hey Bob,

Not had an issue with the 1" ball at all--it seems to hold just fine even in turbulence. No creep at all. I just think you are going to have a higher clamping force with the larger ball and maybe not have to tighten down as hard as you would with the 1" ball. The issue is that the iPad with a long arm creates a pretty high cantilever force, so my thought is that it would just be a little more stable with the larger ball. Like you, I already had the 1" mounts so I went with that and so far I haven't seen a need to upgrade, but if I was to start from scratch I might go with the larger ball. Great hearing from you. :)

arm length affect vibration

I used the 1" ball with no problems. However, the arm length made a big different. I tested with the 5", 3", and 2". With the 5" arm, the vibration was more noticeable - even just engine vibrations.

I really like your panel. Mine is similar, and has all the same E.I. gauges, but they're on the other side of the radios. Your panel is tight, and I mean that in a good way. Is that a home made flap switch handle?

Do you fly much actual IFR with the iPad way over on the right? I'd be worried how I'd react to turning my head to look at an approach plate so far away, but I think the only place I have space for a mount would be very close to where yours is mounted.

Bob,

I will let you know soon as I get mine. I have a 1" ball already on the panel....I doubt with the short or middle length arm that it could make much difference but with the long arm it might.

Hey Bob,

Not had an issue with the 1" ball at all--it seems to hold just fine even in turbulence. No creep at all. I just think you are going to have a higher clamping force with the larger ball and maybe not have to tighten down as hard as you would with the 1" ball. The issue is that the iPad with a long arm creates a pretty high cantilever force, so my thought is that it would just be a little more stable with the larger ball. Like you, I already had the 1" mounts so I went with that and so far I haven't seen a need to upgrade, but if I was to start from scratch I might go with the larger ball. Great hearing from you. :)

I used the 1" ball with no problems. However, the arm length made a big different. I tested with the 5", 3", and 2". With the 5" arm, the vibration was more noticeable - even just engine vibrations.

Great info...thanks guys! My 1" mounts (gotta be careful how I say that ;)) are mounted on the top of the side rails just aft of the panel, so it'll be a bit longer reach to the right side. The IFly Ram mount I use over on the right does require a pretty good amount of cranking to keep it tight, even with a 3" arm. I have a 5" arm stowed away for the iPad, so we'll see. Look forward to your findings Brian (thx!) and nice pics Pat!

I really like your panel. Mine is similar, and has all the same E.I. gauges, but they're on the other side of the radios. Your panel is tight, and I mean that in a good way. Is that a home made flap switch handle?

Do you fly much actual IFR with the iPad way over on the right? I'd be worried how I'd react to turning my head to look at an approach plate so far away, but I think the only place I have space for a mount would be very close to where yours is mounted.

I do fly IFR with the iPad in that location and for me it is an absolutely perfect place for it. I thought it was going to be too far away but it worked out just right. It's closer than you think.

Yup, home made flap handle, made it out of a chunk of aluminum, just shaped it, drilled a hole for the toggle, couple of allen screws top and bottom. Oh yeah, and be sure to file a flat spot on the toggle for the allen screws.

Thanks for the compliment. Love that retro look, but I am thinking about a glass panel upgrade one of these days.

Last edited:
Pat, what model number mount is this? I want to order the right one the first time.

Alton,

Here are the parts I ordered:

1 ea. RAP-B-201U-C Double socket arm B ball C (3" long arm) ( 1" ball)
1 ea. RAM-HOL-AP8U RAM holder for Apple iPad

You will also need a 1" base of some kind, there are several. Also, the iPad 2 holder might be a little different, not sure. Check with RAM.

Hope this helps. :)

Last edited: