MrNomad

Well Known Member
Ok, since you asked. What we expected to take one month actually took 4 months (no surprise there), and we work on the RV9A almost every day. But at long last, the panel is completed and we're ready to close up the top skin.

Our panel contains a Dynon 100 & 180, Lowrance 2000C, Garmin SL30 & 327, backup radio ICOM, audio panel KMA24 and a Sigtronics. This was quite a challenge for my good friend and retired electrical engineer Chet, but after 4 months we're done.

For pictures please click on www.arizonaairparks.com/rv-panel.htm

Now I can start painting while Chet works on the windscreen. That should bring us to the end.

Special thanks to Gil Alexander, Mel Jordan and Roger Ping.

Barry
Tucson

Last edited:
I gutted & updated my panel about 6 months after buying the plane. It took almost 4 months from the start of the tear down until I flew again. Here's mine (missing one piece of glass in this photo):
901jh_11sep05_025_sm.jpg

Here's one during the project:
901jh_02jul05_008.jpg

Details on the project here: http://www.thedukes.org/rv/panel.html

Last edited:
Good job!

Great job Rod. You achieved redundancy, created a structural arrangement that's easy to follow, and the GPS is prominently displayed. I'll bet it took a lot longer than you thought (no surprise).

Given that the panel & all wiring to it is done, we started riveting in the support structure, today.

To think Chet and I expected to finish the 9A in 12 months was nuts. We're up to 15 months but all that's left is the windscreen and paint, and we're going to try to do both tasks simultaneously.

Yes, we're a little bit eager to fly the 9A.

Barry

Great job Rod. You achieved redundancy, created a structural arrangement that's easy to follow, and the GPS is prominently displayed. I'll bet it took a lot longer than you thought (no surprise).

(snip)
Barry

Thanks! Yeah, that's the second panel I actually cut out, and probably the fourth or fifth that I laid out. I can't wait to get it in the air!!

IMGP1391.jpg

Just finished the panel last week. Looks pretty simple, but took me at least three times as long as I thought it would!

Mark

Mark, what model is your moving map? Rick 90432

Hey Rick, The moving map is an AvMap EKP-IV. It's a portable GPS that can be found for around $1350 if you look around a bit. I have it panel mounted in an Air Gizmo mount that allows me to take it home easily when I want to. I haven't flown with it yet, but I have plugged it in and tried it in the car, and I think it will work nicely for what I need.

Mark

pedal extensions
I bent a channel and welded to a little more than a half tube then tack glued in a support tube that also doubled as a drill guide.
I was having foot on brake syndrome:eek:
img1095fu3.jpg

Last edited: