speed

Opps. I think this is in the wrong section :(

Before I commit my 2car garage for a build area (if I can't be close to home I can't build). I would like to see a few garage work areas.

Near as I can figure I should be able to get the most of my RV8 build done in my garage and only move to a hangar for the final wing attachment. Provided I manage my garage space appropriately.

I plan to build a QB RV8. The bonus requirement, my wife want to keep her car in the garage, not while I'm working of course :)

Thanks in advance.

Any feedback or comments on space would greatly speed up my decision process.

Last edited:
I wrote this awhile back, on the very subject you're discussing.

WingsInJigs23.jpg

FuseFromDriveway.jpg

FuseRolledUpAgainstWall.jpg

FuseRolledUpAgainstWallWithCarInside.jpg

b,
dr

A two car garage will work great! I just fit my wings for the first time in my two car...with both wings on for the last two weeks, my wife has had to keep her SUV outside, but this was the first time since I began building two years ago that she has had to do that. This coming weekend, I plan to take the wings off, and she will have her side of the garage back.

8-15-07-008w.jpg

8-15-07-017w.jpg

Go for it!

A two-car garage will be fine. I've been building a 7A in mine for 6 years *AND* with a few rare exceptions, my wife can still park her car on her side.

The only thing is, you've GOT to be very organized because it won't take long before a mess can ensue.

RV First - Kids Ping Pong Table!!

RV emp completed on a ping pong table in the basement. Wings will also be completed on the ping pong table and 4x4 standards. I built the addition on the house and just may open a hole in the basement wall in order to remove the completed fuse. Otherwise I'll have to heat the third/fourth stall of the garage.

Iv'e built my -10 in a two car garage, I can say built because it darn near is. I kicked my wifes car out after the tailcone was joined to the forward fuselage. I moved the wings and emp. to the hangar after they were done when I needed to get the fuselage on the gear. I really planned the build with EAA 1000 benches on wheels and a mobile power tool table. You should be able to do it with no problem.

Ahh, here's that picture I was looking for of the only danger of building in a garage.

24_ednote_organization.jpg

Of course, this is somewhat tongue in cheek.

I actually have a hangar now. It's empty. I really don't want to move the project there at this point. It's just toooooo easy to walk out to the garage and start working. I can run out during commercials, I can do a little work before going to...ummm... work.

ask and you shall receive

I have a 30x40x10 shop. It is 1/2 storage & 1/2 airplane factory. To give you some idea of roominess, the first photo dimensions: That's a 16'x9' door. plenty of room to not ding anything.
RV7134.jpg

distance from left side of fuse to rightside wall is ~16'. lots of room, roughly 5' between tool/storage bench and 4x8 EAA style work table.

RV7135.jpg

22' deep from the wing stand to garage door. still have almost 8' to the right of this pic.

RV7137.jpg

view when I walk into the shop....priceless

RV7136.jpg

The LESS Room the Better...

Here's my workspace... lots of room at the moment. It actually works better, and is more efficient, when there's less room. :D

1007792ac4.jpg

I'm building a RV-10 in a two car garage as well. I'm just finishing the empennage, but I'm still in just half of the garage.

Here's my original shop configuration, but turned out not to be effect once I start working on longer pieces on the tail.

workareazv1.jpg

Tables re-arrange end to end to work on horizontal stabalizer.

img1409rt4.jpg

No pics of my shop, but I plan on building a 7 in a 14'x20' workshop. Obviously I'll have to be very organized and make judicious use of my basement for storage of various things. When the time comes for assembly I'll move the project to my brother's place. He has a 40'x40' pole barn. One quick question...I have a 4'x8' EAA-style build table in the workshop from a previous project. Would it be wiser to keep it that size as long as I can while building the 7 or should I cut it down to something like 3'x8', 4'x4', etc. now because it's just taking up space?

Show us your work area (Steve's Play pen)

Here is my garage. The previous owner was a*al-retentive. His wife redid the kitchen and he used the old cabinets in the workshop. Great idea.

In theory I have a four car garage (property in La. is a fraction of the cost in Calif, Texas almost anywhere else) but the problem with more room is you tend to be more disorganized. I built a workbench with my C-Frame built in. Bad move as I don't use that table very often and it takes up room. A smaller space REQUIRES organization and tossing out needless junk.

THe nice thing is the best view is this rear window. It is of the bayou with some nice trees. In the fall it is very scenic. Right now it is hot down here (south Louisiana). As Robin Williams says, "Hot is nice if you are with a lady". Not so nice when sweating over an RV.

The second photo is looking toward the garage doors and shows how full things can get. Second Law of Garages, Nature Abhors a Vacuum and any available space will be filled.