xblueh2o

Well Known Member
I have a set of QB wings and fus ordered for my RV-8 project. I got a letter from Vans advising a July-ish delivery.
Trying to plan ahead. In my preview plans I see one style of wing cradle but just wondered what others had done. Also, what are folks doing for the fuselage? I will probably build a rotisserie but just wondered what people were using as temporary storage.

I guess I could ask. Anybody in Northern Ca have a set of wing cradles and or rotisserie they want to get rid of?

Rotisserie

Sam, this is what I did. Use the outboard end of the wings to establish the wing profile. Trace the profile, then use a jig saw to cut the 3/4" plywood. I used 3/4" pipe wrap insulation to pad the jig. Brace it, as shown, add four castering wheels and you're good to go. The bottom of the wing is 22" from the floor. For the Fuse I used two engine stands. One for the front, one for the rear. Bolted lumber to the firewall and tail. Done. I removed the "legs" from the front stand (Although it dosn't show this in my pics) becase of the up hill lay of my fuse. I sold the engine stands when I finished. Just a tip - remember that (if your Fuse is a quick build) your firewall is only riveted on, so watch the weight. I didn't have issues, but I thought about this after the fact.

https://plus.google.com/photos/106834625031269905364/albums/5870279430114643873?banner=pwa

wing stand

I have a metal one with wide cargo straps that hold it suspended. The spar end sets on a metal suport clamped in place. The straps do the rest. It has castering wheels to move it around. If you want it come and get it located in Sacramento. My buddy has it right now but he will be done with it soon.