RV7A Flyer

Well Known Member
Patron
Plane is finally in the paint shop! WOOHOOO! Now I have a few weeks to pick out fonts/styles for the N-number and the "Pilot/Builder" "signature" on the side below the canopy.

Which font did you use for your "Joe Schmoe - Pilot/Builder" inscription? Pics, please!

TIA!

Gary is correct. Make sure the font is what's called for on the N number. However, when you do know what you are using, I was very happy with the results from doityourselflettering.com. Quick, inexpensive and easy to apply. I am away from home/laptop but here is a pic on my ipad. I don't remember what script it is but I can check it in a few days when I get home. And NO, that's not my wife. :D :D

34hz5w6.jpg

The N number is NOT something that you can play around with the font on. The FAA requires that the N number be done in a certain way.

There's some leeway there...slanted vs straight, drop shadowed or not, bordered or not, "rounded" font vs. "square" font, etc.

Examples http://aerographics.com/reg.php

I would never go as far as many of the clearly illegal ones I've seen, naturally...and plan on 3" N-numbers, anyway, so no point in doing anything super-fancy with those.

ETA: I know it has to contrast, have no "ornamentation" and be legible...but FYI there's no regulation on "font", only that it use "Roman" letters, i.e., not Greek or Cyrillic, etc.

More interested in the signature inscription styles people have done...

Last edited:
Vinyl Stencil

I used DIY lettering and the painter used it as a stencil. He was right - it came out great!

Base white coat. Add N number. Paint over it with red. Peel off vinyl.

All the credit goes to the painter. I didn't even think of it.

did you hear about...

The three Rockets that got pranked on April 1st by the FAA at SNF?:D
Seems the N numbers were "ramp checked" and each one got a tag, the measuring tape, head scratching, and just plain bafflement were something to behold.

There's some leeway there...slanted vs straight, drop shadowed or not, bordered or not, "rounded" font vs. "square" font, etc.

Examples http://aerographics.com/reg.php

I would never go as far as many of the clearly illegal ones I've seen, naturally...and plan on 3" N-numbers, anyway, so no point in doing anything super-fancy with those.

ETA: I know it has to contrast, have no "ornamentation" and be legible...but FYI there's no regulation on "font", only that it use "Roman" letters, i.e., not Greek or Cyrillic, etc.

More interested in the signature inscription styles people have done...

There may be no direct FAA requirement on font, but the FAR 45.29 has some pretty specific details that do directly affect the font chosen -

(c) Width. Characters must be two-thirds as wide as they are high, except the number ?1?, which must be one-sixth as wide as it is high, and the letters ?M? and ?W? which may be as wide as they are high.

(d) Thickness. Characters must be formed by solid lines one-sixth as thick as the character is high.

(e) Spacing. The space between each character may not be less than one-fourth of the character width.

I used a font called Brush Script. First one below. Don't know the names of the other fonts that were provided by my decal guy.

builderpilot-M.jpg

You can sort of see it in this photo.
IMG_5030-M.jpg