May 14, 1993

No picture but the first thing I remember about the first flight of my -6 is that I was watching engine parameters so closely that, not being used to the climb rate of the RV, I busted the floor of Class B airspace.
An immediate mailing of a NASA form covered my behind for my unintentional error.

Last edited:
Which one?! :)

For the first one a long time ago, there were no digital cameras nor cellphones to take easy pics with, and because nobody Around our little strip had a film camera there was no evidence.....plus I'm a fan of no crowds for first flights. What I do remember is that was my first time EVER airborne in an RV of any type (that first flight was truly my first RV ride) - and it was fantastic to feel out the plane in comparison to everything else I'd flown! Those were before the days when there were lots of rides to be had, before Alex was available for transition training, etc.

The downside was that the ASI was about 15kt high around stall speed, so even with knowing that, it made for a rather abrupt first "plop" that resulted in a go-around for a better result the next time around (we were flying off a narrow grass strip with trees and didn't have the room to goof around landing). We did 4 first flights off that strip, but I'd encourage folks to use a nice long runway, and take advantage of the Pierre's, Alex's, or Seagers of the world. There are a LOT more resources available "nowadays"!

Cheers,
Stein

PS, we changed the ASI before the next flight - made things MUCH easier, but "losing" that free speed was dissapointing. :rolleyes: