JDanno

Well Known Member
A year ago I suffered a prop strike on my RV-10 when the nose gear failed on landing. It was a very gentle landing that the end result was the nose wheel fell off the nose strut. Welding experts that looked at it were quite emphatic that the weld was at fault. Heat didn't penetrate far enough and the weld bead wasn't large enough.
The nose gear folded back up into the cockpit missing my foot by a half inch. Took out the motor mount, engine driven fuel pump, two electric boost pumps, firewall and three feet back into the tunnel and of course the prop and cowling. Several A&Ps thought it would be totaled.

I contacted Nations Air and they put me in contact with AIG who had my policy. I was really dreading having to deal with an insurance company! I am in healthcare and we deal with insurance companies on a daily basis. A lot of them are really difficult, to say the least.

Anyway, I was really surprised by the kind, courteous, empathetic and professional manner in which I was treated. It was actually a pleasant experience from that standpoint. Not at all what I was expecting!

The only problem we ran into is that hardly any repair shop wants to take on RVs. Finally they agreed to let me do the repairs as the "contractor" and repairman. I itemized the repairs and parts and they agreed. it turned out to be close to $91k. Not a small repair!

The "moral" of this story is that Nations Air and particularly Eric and Marc at AIG were really great to work with. The experience as traumatic as it was, couldn't have been better.

Did you mean "NationAir" as the agency? (recently changed name to Gallagher)

One of the things a good agent will do is to steer you away from any company with a bad history of paying claims.

My policy (USAIG) actually states what they'll pay me if I fix a claim: $15/hr, plus parts cost.