Don Patrick

Well Known Member
The age old question...should I buy the engine with the prop strike and roll the dice?

I have a line of a O-360-A4A. It has a solid crank and had a strike at idle where it hit a hanger. Looking at $4500, with all accessories. I know full well that the Lycoming AD will have to be done. Everything could be good, or it could not. I have an engine guy (works at a certfied engine shop) who will do it on the side for me.

Potential f many pit falls versus an engine from Aerosport, Aerotec and so on.

For anyone that has gone this route and "rebuilt" an engine that had a prop strike, was it worth it, or would you have done things differently?

Thanks

Don

Wood or metal prop?

Solid part of a hangar, or just the skin?

You could see if the seller will make a deal to refund the price if the inspection shows a certain level of damage, you pay for the inspection.

Have you checked with a couple shops to see what the core value is??

Negotiate man, negotiate!

wow

That is a really good price, if it were me I might give it a try. I am still trying to figure out how to afford a nice new shiny engine. What are the differences between the a1a and the a4a? Just the solid crank? I want a c/s prop so I would have to have one with that capability. Good luck, that engine just might turn out to be a jewel in the rough.

bird

Maybe.

Don, if the guy will gaurantee the crankshaft, it would seal the deal for me. We did a prop-strike 160 horse Lyc on my buddy's airplane and replaced the pin in the crank gear and the retainer bolt, complying with Lyc's directives. The flange dialed OK and it's back to flying.

Best,

Are you feeling Lucky... I would plan on a new crank, if you don't need it then great, if you do then at least you went in knowing that was a real possibility.

Snake eyes?

Little info about the actual impact, but he will refund within 30 days, so...I'll be in a hurry to have it inspected and the crank NDT'd. Fortunately, my father is a NDT tech so that will be free of charge.

Have your dad check the guts of the accessory case also (and oil pump?).

Might check with Mahlon for a list of items to check, and specs.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good deal to me. Get the thing stripped down and send the crank out to get it checked over. If the seller will give you thirty days you can probably ask that he extends that until the prop is verified. Your engine guy can make the call on what other parts need to be sent away.

Good luck!

I don't think you need to split the case to do replace the drive gear dowel pin. So if that's all to be done, you won't get a look at the crank. You do have to pull of the back (accessory housing)

The A4# is a solid crank (versus an A1# or A3#) and can never drive a CS prop.

I think if it were me, and my checking the circumstances and intuition was to go forward (and it is a very good price), I might be thinking of doing the dowel pin and dial checking the crank and then stopping until I had it flying. This assumes you're okay with a FP prop. This engine wouldn't have break in limitations right around the time you start test flying. You could put phase I on it and at some later point do an overhaul when / if needed.

Dan

Thanks

I'm definately going with a fixed pitch so the A4A is a great fit. A friend of mine who's an AME mentioned that if you're going to strike a prop, it's better to do it with the solid shaft vs the hollow. Makes sense....for the crank anyway.

I have an engine guy that will do a complete overhaul for $2500 labour plus parts..we'll see what happens in a couple of days. Not knowing enough about engine overhauls yet, is that a good price?

The crank was dialed in to .008 and there are "assurances" that the flange is not bent at all. I'll have my NDT guy (Dad) see about any deficiencies with the guts and accessories as well. All Iknow is that it was a metal prop and it went into the hanger at idle.

If I get it, it will be awhile before it gets mounted. I will be adding injection and an inverted system as well if I do pick it up.

Lots to consider.

Thanks for the input folks!

Don

My IO-540 V4A5 was a prop strike purchase. The flange dialed .009". Aircraft Specialties Services straightened and re-nitrited the flange, replaced the counterweight bushings, polished the journals, crack inspection, and sent it back with a fresh yellow tag. Cost $250.00 two years ago plus round trip shipping. I'd go for it but that's just me.

Prop Strike inspection parts required for A1A ?

What gaskets, bolts, dowl, etc are required to assure the gear and dowell are OK after a prop strike. I have manuals and SB's, but AeroInStock cannot tell me what parts to order for this inspection. Thanks in advance for your patience and help...Larry

Larry, since the accessory case has to come off, you'll need a new gasket there. The 1/4" drive dowel and a new cam gear retention bolt were very inexpensive when we did the -4 compliance. Actually, it's so close in the RV-4 that we just pulled the engine.

Best,