bobmarkert

Well Known Member
This is a picture of the F-839 elevator push-pull tube on an RV8 that connects the front and rear stick together. It comes from the factory with the threaded ends pre-installed in the tube and powder coated. I can see a depression in the powder coating where the thread insert is attached to the tube. I cannot tell if it is attached with a weld or some sort of rivet holding it together. The directions are clear that at least half the threads of the rod-end-bearings must be engaged to protect against the scenario where the nuts come lose and the tube turns. The problem is there is a DEFINITE resistance (block) where the weld (?) is. I cannot (or am unwilling) to apply the amount of force it would take to insert the rod-ends in 1/2 way. The picture show the jam nut set at the depth where the bearing stops screwing in and it corresponds to where the weld is. I am considering running a tap through the threads. I would like the collective wisdom of the group to weigh in because this is a piece of the primary flight control system!!!!
Thank You
Bob

v3g.jpg

When you look on the paint - it looks like the inner sleeve has been plug welded in the tube .. if that is the case .. would expect some internal distortion that a tap would sort out ..

I would show vans the picture, sure looks like a pop rivet to me, also make sure you have the correct rod end, some are longer than others.

Vans support reply

Van's support answered my email question immediately. Here is their response:

It's a weld, and in this case it must have penetrated just a little too much. Chasing with a tap is fine, but do it with a light hand and plenty of lubricant. If the tap breaks, there's no practicalway to extract it.

Case closed. I'll run tap down it tonight

Last edited:
Thanks.

Bob, thanks for closing the loop on this one, always good when folks do that.

When you run the tap down the hole - back it out frequently to clean it out ... if you use a cheap carbon tap they can break easily if you are not used to tap ... and oil .. plenty of it ..