szicree

Well Known Member
I'm building a fixed pitch day only -4 with Superior carbed 360. Should I get a FF kit from Van's or cobble the stuff together on my own?

If you're a pretty good scrounger, I think you can save money by going on your own.
Of course, I'm cheap..., I mean FRUGAL!

I did and it worked well for me. It was nice having the plans and parts and not chase around on a scavenger hunt reinventing the wheel.

JMHO

Roberta

I've done it both ways. The FWF kit is a no brainer and is well done but it will cost more. A very personal decision I think. Larry

If you have deviated or plan to deviate from "the norm" in terms of intake, exhaust, electrical, baffles, etc. then it may not make as much sense to go with the full FWF kit (but Van's does let you pick & choose what you want or want left out). If you intend to "stick to the program," it's a great way to go imho -- no need to reinvent the wheel. My 2 cents is...just GET IN THE AIR while the gettin is still good...and taking a "shortcut" with the FWF kit is a great way to do that.

We're having way too much fun here in SoCal and look forward to you joining us.

If it's your 1st time

I am a first time builder and was very intimidated by the FWF stuff. After getting the FWF kit from Vans along with their plans, it became one of the most straightforward and most satisfying parts of the building process. I installed the standard lycoming setup with no deviation from the plans. Well worth the money in my opinion.

No RV4 FWF kit

Steve,
I called Van's about your thread topic over one month ago. They told me they don't sell a firewall kit for the RV4. Have you been told different?

Brian Vickers, RV4 project

True, they don't sell a -4 kit, but I guess I assumed they'd put one together for me. Not so I guess?

D**n Nice Metalwork, Brian!

Brian, your -4 fuselage was looking mighty sweet on the front page! Wish my -6 had that level of fit and finish; on the positive side, it is flying :)

Assuming there is a FWF kit for the -4, it comes down to what Dan Checkoway said - if you stay with a stock setup, or close to it, the FWF kit saves time, some money, and a lot of screwing around. My -6 ended up with a pretty sanitary FWF installation using the Van's kit. Now, as Mel says, if you have the time and knowhow to scrounge, the kit is not for you. But after 7+ years of building, when I was ready for the FWF work, I wanted to get in the air without more delay, and the FWF kit helps you do that. (And it still took 2 more years...)

JW

FWF Kit

Steve & John,
Out of laziness I sort of begged them to put a kit together for me but they were not interested. Not enough demand to warrant it. They sell just about everything you need but it must be ordered a la carte. He did say there is at least one 4 builders on their staff that can help over the phone. I have been collecting parts for the eventual FWF binge. Picked up a nice set of four new Lord engine mounts on Ebay for $125 last month. I wasn't even the winning bidder. The winner flaked out and the seller sold them to me for my absentee high bid amount. They are brand new. Van's verified the correct part number for me before I bid on them.

Yes John, I agree a flying airplane is way more fun. It's just a project until it's airborne. I?ll get there!!!

Steve, keep pluggin away

Brian Vickers
Bainbridge Island, WA - RV4 project

I think it was a good deal and certainly is speeding things up. Only question is older style auto alternator in my FWF kit - but I believe this has now been replaced with an aero spec one in the newer kits.
I'm told the auto ones rotate in the wrong direction when attached to a Lycoming. They generate power OK but the cooling fan isn't effective, hence the cooling air blast tubes from the air plenum. I'll see how it hangs in when I get it flying.
Jim Sharkey
RV6 Tip Up, FP O360-A1A

true, but

jsharkey said:
I'm told the auto ones rotate in the wrong direction when attached to a Lycoming. They generate power OK but the cooling fan isn't effective, hence the cooling air blast tubes from the air plenum. I'll see how it hangs in when I get it flying.
Jim Sharkey
RV6 Tip Up, FP O360-A1A

I also had the old auto style alt. with the FWF kit. It worked OK, but I replaced it with the new plane power alternator which rotates in the right direction and has OV protection and other features. It also used the same belt as my old alt., so I didn't have to remove the prop to change it out.

Not for me but.....

I say know but than what do I know. What I do know I don't want the

Exhaust pipes
Oil cooler
alternator

and probably a bunch of other stuff. However if I was not so picky, knowing Van's gives fair deals, I might consider it.

Primarily I'm a wheeler dealer and look for deals, bargains, custom or upgraded items. For example I prefer and recommend real Stewart Warner oil coolers not clones, but they cost a lot more. Another example, I have a custom 4-into-1 exhaust pipe setup; Van supplies Vetterman which is good quality but only comes in cross over. Alternator, I would go with plane powr today not the plane ND. Nothing wrong with the stock ND, just plane power is an upgrade.

Last edited:
One thing to think about...

Van's does not discount the price when buying the FwF kit so it has no impact on your total if you elect to purchase some items, as George mentioned, from another vendor.

Radomir went with the Sam James cowl and found the cost almost the same as the price of Van's.

I elected to purchase the FwF kit from Van's, knowing I would not be able to use all the parts as I'm installing an O-290 in my -9. However, it gave me most of the parts and I didn't have to keep ordering all the little stuff and paying S&H charges.