Jamie

Well Known Member
Ok guys. I'm not a perfecionist, but sometimes the thought that I could do something better the second time around bugs me to no end.

Here's he deal: On my rollbar (cabin frame) for my -7A tipup, I'm not sure about the asthetics. The problem is that the spacing between the channels is not consistent. It's pretty close, but it narrows at the top and spreads just a bit around the corners (yes, I know the plans warn you about this). At the top the width is the requisite 1.5 inches but at the corners it's about 1.65 at the widest point. I weighted the whole thing down when I drilled the front channels to the back, but this didn't seem to help much with the gap. All of my edge distances are well within limits so I don't think structurally I have anything to worry about.

I'm thinking of doing it over again, but this time making some spacer blocks to put between the channels while drilling the top. This would keep the space consistant all the way around. Were others out there able to get the gap perfect? It seems almost physically impossible to do so because you can't flute the channels due to the lower and upper .063 strips.

Don't bother

Don't bother rebuilding it. Sounds like a very, very minor imperfection. FWIW mine is narrower at the top than it is at the bases on the sides.

My 2 cents is -- fill the gap and you'll never notice anything about it. Rough it up with some sandpaper in the gap, clean it out really well (i.e. with MEK or acetone or whatever), and then lay some Super-Fil (or epoxy+micro) in there. Use a squeegee or whatever and drag it all along the gap to smooth it out. Let it cure then sand it smooth.

If you're really anal you could lay a ply of lightweight glass over it after you fill it, then feather/pinhole fill that. The glass would keep it from ever showing (unlikely, but you never know).

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D (721 hours)
http://www.rvproject.com

I don't think the thickness of the frame matters much functionally. Can you visually see the difference? I'm pretty sure mine varies a little bit, but it's definitely not noticeable.

How's the width of the frame side to side? That's where folks usually have trouble. It seems like no matter what you do, the frame tends to shrink a little bit during riveting.

I filled mine with SuperFil then painted... looks really good (if I may say so myself).

If you have to order the channels again, they're like $46 a pair if I recall.

My gap was all over the place , so we filled it with a light weight aluminium filler both top and bottom. Worked out great.

Sounds good guys. Looks like it's Super-fil to the rescue. Oh yeah, the outer radius (canopy side) of the rollbar is what is funky...the inner radius is pretty darn near perfect. The rollbar sits perfectly flush on my workbench on both sides. Oh well.