Kato's 8

Well Known Member
Can someone tell me what the shortest fuel hose assembly is possible? I need to transition from the gascolator to the red cube and would like a 2-2.5 inch firesleved braided hose if possible. I made a short 3/8" alum tube to fit and figured I could sleeve it and support the cube with angle attached to fire wall to keep rigid and then vans hose from it to engine fuel pump if hose not practical.
Thanks!

I have one I had made but never used, about 4.25" flare-flare. If you want to buy it let me know.

If you think those are cool, wait until you look at (and understand) these babies:
http://www.cleavelandtool.com/Howe-Bulkhead-Passthrough-Fitting/productinfo/FPTH/#.Ux9jkIU-e0Y

You can use these in the firewall to save a lot of space over the typical bulkhead fittings that protrude several inches on one side.

With these in your fuel tank cover plate, you have more routing options for getting fuel from the tank to the fuselage. These fittings allow two AN822 elbows to be used on the fuel cover, forming a "Z" instead of just a 90 deg turn. You'll also need a bulkhead elbow coming out of the fuselage at a 90 deg angle.

The inside AN822 elbow is the standard set up, but the external AN822 allows you to route the fuel line to a convenient spot of your choosing to enter the fuselage. The line connecting the tank to the fuselage can run parallel to fuselage side!

Yes, it adds a bit of complication and brain work, but it allows you to eliminate the fuel line protruding from the side of the fuselage. I find that line to be unsatisfactory during final assembly and often somewhat questionable in service.

YMMV!

I'm with Vince in highly recommending the Howe Fittings! VEry clever, and save a lot of space.

David Howe showed them to me at Oshkosh a couple years back. I immediately thought "Why aren't these available everywhere!?"

I'm very happy that he's got Cleaveland selling them!

Thanks for the offer Walt. I will keep it in mind and will contact you if I decide to go with the aluminum line from gascolator to cube. That hose of yours would then be close to what I need to go from cube on to engine fuel pump.

Vince, Thanks fore the direction to a swivel coupler. I think that would be a better plan for what I want to do between the gascolator and the red cube. A nipple out of gascolator, the coupler, another nipple into redube should be around 2 to 2.5 inches total. Thanks! I'll have ACS send you the finders fee.
;)

Bill---quick answer to your question on the shortest possible hose length:
+- 2.625 inches flare to flare, but is doesnt give alot of space between the ends of the stems. I dont recommend it----AND its more expensive than a rigid tube or swivel fitting. That dimension may vary slightly with manufacturers.
Tom