JackinMichigan

Well Known Member
My brand new IO-540 has spark plug wires that are on average about a foot too long for a neat engine package. They are shielded as I assume all are.

How do I shorten them? Do I shorten at the spark plug or magneto end?

They typically get made into a bundle between the mags. You might consider an overhead routing. Keeps em further from hot and drippy stuff and uses up more harness.

Mag wires

Play around with a service loop at the engine mount to make them look neat .
Continentals are worse , the mags face forward and seem to have 2 extra feet per wire .

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Jack,

I believe it takes some specialized crimping tools and extra hardware to shorten the leads....pretty cost-prohibitive. I elected to do something of an S-curve routing and secure them with a bunch of Adel clamps to consume the extra length.

The Slick wires in the photo can easily be shortened if you have the tooling. Most shops should have the tool kit to do this if they work on planes with Slick mags. You may need to get your harness to such a place or have a mechanic visit you. All the hardware on the wire ends can be removed and reinstalled on the shortened wire. I would remove extra length on the plug end. Probably not worth the expense to buy the tooling and you should see how it's done one time before going solo.

Don B. A&P, IA

RV 9. Rebuild in Progress

Last edited: