pierre smith

Well Known Member
Hi guys,
My buddy needs a shorter oil filler tube for his -4. Have any of you shortened the oil filler tube and the dipstick (Lyco calls it a "gauge"). How did you do it? Use PVC tubing? Reason is that Lyco wants $175 for just the tube.........there's gotta be a simple fix......

Thanks,

I want a longer one

Oil filler tube/dipstick that is. Maybe a swap is a better option.

ronlee @ pcisys dot net

Length?

Hi Ron,
The tube is 11 1/2" long (not counting threads) with the matching dipstick. We need ten inches or less. Whatcha got?

Regards,

Filler Tube

I just took mine to a local machine shop and had them remove a center section about 2" long and then reweld the two pieces together. After paint it looked great. I then took a hacksaw to the dipstick and removed a section from the end. The old level marks were deleted using a file. I'll remark the stick once I get the plane ready to fly - hopefully this summer. It cost me a total of $15.

Alan
RV-4 N7028K

trade ?

I have one that I need to trade.. my rv9a needs the longer tube and gauge
check your private mail on here.. the one I have is metal not plastic..
I did buy the longer tube , but the treads are not the same..

It's plastic

ABRV4 said:
I just took mine to a local machine shop and had them remove a center section about 2" long and then reweld the two pieces together. After paint it looked great. I then took a hacksaw to the dipstick and removed a section from the end. The old level marks were deleted using a file. I'll remark the stick once I get the plane ready to fly - hopefully this summer. It cost me a total of $15.

Alan
RV-4 N7028K

Hi Alan,
This one's plastic or something similar. We thought about cutting it and using a PVC coupling but the heat and vibration was a concern.

Regards,

Mine was plastic or something also. I cut at the dip stick end and glued back together with 2216. Cut and recalibrated dipstick. No problems 10 years/1000hours later.
Tom

oIL FILLER TUBE

I JUST CUT A SECTION OUT AND THEN SPLICED IT BACK TOGETHER WITH A SHORT PIECE OF AILERON CONTROL TUBE & GAVE IT COUPLE OF WRAPS OF FIBERGLASS. 8 YEARS NOT A ISSUE.

Just now rechecked my dipstick fix and forgot to mention that I had installed a splice tube on the outside also. I did some pretty near distructive testing (twisting and banging) before installing.
Tom

Measured my oil filler tube

Around 6.5 inches and I estimate that I need one that is around 13.5 inches to eliminate the funnel.

Pierre your mailbox is full

Pierre, trying to send you a private message but your mailbox is full..
anyway I am happy with the trade and I hope your happy with the
one I sent..

Danny..

Great....

godspeed said:
Pierre, trying to send you a private message but your mailbox is full..
anyway I am happy with the trade and I hope your happy with the
one I sent..

Danny..

Ain't this a great site! All it cost both of us was a little shipping. It's on the airplane.......thanks,
Pierre