macrafic

Well Known Member
I will need to shorten the F697 channel (the channel that sits on the engine side of the subpanel) by 1 1/4" on the bottom. The purpose is to make room for the GTN 650.

I am not sure what that channel is for but, am I OK to shorten it?

I think you can hack up the subpanel bits as much as you want- very common. usually you reinforce it with angle material

It supports the canopy release mechanism..

Some builders don't even put it on if they choose to secure the canopy hinges differently.. My -6A center stack required most of the space that piece would have used. I didn't install it.

You can shorten it quite a bit. Its purpose is to hold the hinge latch release mechanism for the tipup. It provides a gap behind the channel to put some nutplates for the plastic block bolts, and offsets it for the latch rotation.

IMG_2408-M.jpg

You could probably shorten it to where the clecos are in this photo.

IMG_2431-M.jpg

Full length view.

Cut off more

Bruce forgot to mention that the F-697 makes a great firewall standoff for mounting the matco parking brake to. So if you cut off a good 4 to 5 inches, save the leftovers for this. I copied this from Bruce's build:D. But I had to order the 697 cause mines a slider:mad:

I had built and installed this whole thing-a-mabob with the handle below the panel instead of poking through it...had a nice spring mechanism and stops and worked really well (thank to Jdeas for the design), then had to abandon the entire thing when my radio stack went in...the GPS and 2nd Comm were both way too deep for it, and the audio panel even required a deeper space to accommodate the DB connectors. The whole freakin' thing had to come out, and I ended up using quick-release "Pip pins" from McMaster-Carr instead (some people use regular AN bolts and nuts, I understand).

Yes, it'll be a pain to crawl under there to pull the pins should I need to remove the canopy (e.g., for paint?), but c'est la vie. Just be aware of where your radios are going and how deep of a space they'll need behind the panel and into the bulkhead...

YMMV

Steve