Bill_H

Well Known Member
Patron
The new release of the Dynon Skyview software allows for one of its serial ports to be connected to the serial port on a comm radio (like my Garmin SL40, RV-12.) This lets the Skyview show the radio's selected frequency and push frequencies to it. Handy.

The SL40 manual says that the serial cable wires need to be shielded, with less than 1.25 inch pigtails at the end and the shields connected to ground at both ends.

Now, in the RV12 these new serial wires would go from the Dynon screen's master DB connector on the back to the DB plug on the back of the Garmin. Total distance of the wire including an extra 6 inches for pulling out the Skyview from the front would be about 18 inches.

I have spare wire and pins but the wire is not shielded. I have the cover off for doing the annual and everything is easy to get to right now. Is it worth trying with unshielded wire? If it doesn't work I can turn off that function by disabling the serial port on the Dynon on its configuration page. What mighth "not-working" symptoms look like?

Thanks - Bill H.